[SOLVED] Excel filter out junk question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Streamlight

Hey,

I have a long list of thousands of names and emails and there is some bad data in a bunch of the cells reading "::::" I need to filter this out or somehow erase all those cases. Doing it by hand is insane as there are thousands of them. I heard that filter could get rid of them but I dont know how to use it.. if anyone could give me a detailed way of getting ride of all these instances it would be amazingly helpful

thanks

cybertech

Retired Moderator
Two ideas you might try.

You could sort the entire worksheet so you can easily delete the rows.

You could use Edit, Replace and search for :::: and replace with nothing.

:)

Streamlight

wow, replace worked like magic. Thanks a lot.. yea, our programmer came up to me and wanted me to do it by hand.. Im an intern so i cant say no.. you just saved me a lot of pointless work. there are over 200,000 rows... thanks a lot

cybertech

Retired Moderator
My pleasure! Happy to know my suggestion saved you so much tedious work.

:D

Streamlight

Oh it did, thanks again.. just one quick question though. How would I sort toe whole doc ?

Streamlight

I found the sort option but I need to sort alphabetically but Im not sure how to do it..

cybertech

Retired Moderator
Choose the column you need to sort by and pick ascending or descending.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online