1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel for iPad

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Tadrichards, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tadrichards

Tadrichards Thread Starter

I've installed Excel on my iPad. I open a spreadsheet that's saved in Dropbox. The spreadsheet opens as Read-only. There is, however, a choice to "convert and edit." I do that. Nothing happens. Why not? What do I actually have to do to be able to edit an Excel spreadsheet on my iPad?

2. draceplace

draceplace

3. Tadrichards

No, I've got that. But when I open a file in that Excel app, I get a message saying Read Only. To edit, convert to the latest format. And over to the right, a click that says "convert and edit." But when I click that, nothing happens.

4. draceplace

draceplace

Probably need a subscription to office 365 to turn on all features.

5. Tadrichards

Probably the simplest solution is to take all the data out of Excel. It doesn't really need to be on a spreadsheet, now that I think about it. But that's annoying. Why give you the app, if it can't be used?

6. draceplace

draceplace

Seems it does work as a reader. And it should be no surprise the Micro$oft is a company that needs to make money for its shareholders and the cost of being in business. If your hell bent on working spreadsheets on the iPad you might look at what Google Docs or Apple Numbers for a cheaper solution.

7. Tadrichards

I actually don't need this for myself -- my wife sometimes gets the notion she can do anything on an iPad. For this particular project, I just took all the data out of Excel and put it into a table in Word. Actually works better that way. I''m not a numbers guy or an organization guy, and I hate spreadsheets anyway. Thanks for helping, Drace.

8. draceplace

draceplace

LOL, people wanting their device to do every thing and be fast and be portable is the wave we are riding. I personally don't want the ability to work unless I'm setting at my desk! Working on the iPad setting on the beach doesn't appeal to me.

9. Tadrichards

I use my laptop - or more recently, Surface Pro - sitting on the couch, because my puppy insists on cuddling up next to me while I work.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice