1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel Formula if a date is exceeded

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Bobbydiv, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bobbydiv

Bobbydiv Thread Starter

I'm looking for a formula for excel, but can't seem to fine tune one, or find an existing one.

The spreadsheet is for applications. If initial contact happens on say 7/20/2010 and the applicant has 5 days in which to respond, for example. I want a column that posts the due date for follow up automatically, and then also a column that says either NO or YES in regards to Follow Up Needed that also updates automatically based on Date Of Follow Up having passed.

I hope this makes sense. I'm going to attempt to put an example below.

Application Date Applicant Name Date Of Follow Up Follow Up Needed
    7/20/2010 John Smith 7/26/2010 YES
    7/25/2010 Jane Smith 7/31/2010 NO

EDIT: Well, it won't maintain the spacing, but that should give you an idea of what I mean.

2. Sponsor

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

Hi and welcome to TSG.

Will the attached sheet for you? Rows #2-35 have the formulas in columns C and D. They are blank if column B is blank.

Attached Files:

4. Bobbydiv

Bobbydiv Thread Starter

Mr. Excel Wizard!!!! Thank you very much. That's exactly what I was trying to do. The formula is so simple, and makes perfect sense, but I just could not get it to work when I tried to create one like it.

Thank you SO much.

Bobbydiv

5. cwwozniak

You are most welcome and I am no where close to being an Excel Wizard.

You can use the "Mark Solved" button above the first post to mark this thread as solved.

6. Bobbydiv

Bobbydiv Thread Starter

One last question. Is it possible to make the fields that turn Yes, show up red to draw attention? Just curious.

7. Bobbydiv

Bobbydiv Thread Starter

Ahh, Marked it as solved.

8. cwwozniak

A little Conditional Formatting added.

Attached Files:

9. Bobbydiv

Bobbydiv Thread Starter

I still say Wizard. :) Thanks for that. Can you tell me how you did that one so I know for future? Did you just highlight the "Yes"'d field and then do the drag copy thing so all fields would do that when it was yes? I didn't see a different in the code.

10. cwwozniak

The formula is the same. To make the text bold and on a light red background, I first selected cell D2 and then selected "Conditional Formatting" under Format in the menu bar (I'm using Excel 2003. Lord knows where MS might have put the function in Excel 2007 or 2010). It checks if the cell contains the word "Yes" and then makes the changes if it does. I then click-dragged the cell to duplicate the cell set-up in the other rows.

11. Bobbydiv

Bobbydiv Thread Starter

Thank you very much. I was on the right track, I'd went to conditional formatting was just getting near and you got me right where I needed to be.

Thanks again. Have a great night.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/939114