Solved: Excel formula Needed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MaryWells

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a formula to do a Microsoft Excel thingy,

Here is what I need, but I just can't get it.

For example, if I want to use the number 300 and find what that is 85% of...and another column of 70% etc...

Just how do I do that??? It would look like the following:

Number....................85%...........70%.........etc. with other numbers (hopefully rounded)

When I put in the whole number like in the Number column, it would automatically figure the rest of the columns.

Please guys, if you can help a poor girl out, would appreciate it very much.

Hugs,

Mary

MaryWells

Hi,

I am sorry, but you are very mistaken, this has nothing to do with homework and I give you my word at that.

If you don't wish to particpate and help me with this solution, then feel free not to participate. I just don't know why you would assume (without knowing) that this is homework. This solution is in fact to do with my work environment, but you would have no way of knowing that.

I can figure those out with a calculator, but just can't get the formula to make it much quicker since I have to do numerous of these calculations. If I am mistaken for asking for assistance, please inform me, I thought this forum was for assistance in working out formulas.

Like I said, no offence intended. Of course there's no way I can know it's to do with your work environment, hence "this sounds remarkably like homework". While it's not a "rule" per se, some here don't help with homework, is all (see post 2 here, for example). It's not really about "wishing" to participate or otherwise.

The solution to your problem is, in fact, uber-easy. Is there any way you can verify it's a work thing?

Failing that, someone else will probably post a solution before too long. :)

MaryWells

Thanks for the response.

I think that I did not make myself clear enough, because the information I need is as follows:

Number....................85%...........70%.........etc. with other numbers (hopefully rounded)
Better explanation.....here:

300 is 85% of what number (as shown above 353 (rounded)
300 is 70% of what number (as shown above 429 (rounded
400 is 85% of what number (as shown above 471 (rounded)

With the calculator, it is hit and miss (how I got those above), so wanted a formula since I have many percentages to do and it is so time consuming.

300 divided by 85, multiplied by 100 will give what 300 is 85% of.
300 divided by 70, multiplied by 100 will give what 300 is 70% of.

N Divided by % x 100

I hope this is what you are looking for.

This is very easy math (or maths, as my friend bomb would say)
just 1/(percentage - formatted so that 85% is .85) * the number you have as the percentage (in this case, 300, 350, 400) and the rounding is only slightly fancier. I have to say I also have trouble figuring out how this would be work-related.

This is very easy math (or maths, as my friend bomb would say)
just 1/(percentage - formatted so that 85% is .85) * the number you have as the percentage (in this case, 300, 350, 400) and the rounding is only slightly fancier. I have to say I also have trouble figuring out how this would be work-related.
Could be anything to do with work related stats (attendence, performance, etc) though I understand why you guys also feel it might not be.

Ang, generally work-related stats tend to be a lot more complex than this (#hours total vs # hours overtime vs # hours regular rate) plus holidays used and so on, and that being used to calculate further holidays, etc. I guess a few years on here makes one a bit callous in some ways - perhaps Mary really wants it for work - but too often I have seen students post obvious homework assignments and expect someone to do the work for them.

MaryWells

Well, to be quite honest, it was work related and had to do with performance. I actually supervise teachers and students as a resource person for my school. The other facets of the worksheet (yes, some parts were complicated) were easy for me to work out and just needed this to finish because I got hung up on the easy one I guess. Anyhow, thanks to those of you who answered without questioning my intent and would not take my word at that.

To be asked to provide (actually like being accused) a note from my boss or a contact in my school corporation to get it answered (which I would not do) was way out of line and insulting to me. You are either here to help, or you are not and i want to thank those who helped without such a request because you trusted my word.

Hugs,

Mary

Mary, that may well be true, and no offense meant.
But really, if "(yes, some parts were complicated)" is true, then how did you get hung up on this? And if you google such a question, you get sites like these:
http://www.themathpage.com/ARITH/what-percent.htm
http://www.ehow.com/how_2364017_percentage-numbers.html
- both basic math pages, and the latter even lists it under "K-12 Basics" - so surely you can see how we could have wondered.
Again, no offense meant - bring us a tough one next time, okay?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!