1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel formula with screwy result

Discussion in 'Archive: Business Applications' started by dazedTSG, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dazedTSG

dazedTSG Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I am trying to figure out why one of my formulas are not producing the correct numbers. Attached is the sheet and the problem can be found in B10. Formula is pretty simple: =B8/B9. B8 is a value of 0.01 and B9 is equal to B6 which has the formula of =((B1/B4)*0.01). Manually calculating the numbers, the answer shold be 1.212562 but the sheet's answer is 1.212499. I don't know why the numbers are off.:confused:
    Any help is greatly appreciated!:D

Attached Files:

2. computerman29642

computerman29642

dazed, take a look at the attached file. Look at Column E.

The problem you were having was that even though you set the number in cell B9 to 6 decimal places, it was still dividing the 0.01 number by the entire number in cell B6 (0.008247427).

Attached Files:

3. dazedTSG

dazedTSG Thread Starter

:D Thanks Computerman! That was just driving me bonkers. Who knew something little like that would make such a difference.

4. computerman29642

computerman29642

No Problem! (y) Glad that I could help. :)

If you believe the issue has been resolved, please feel free to mark the thread as solved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice