1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel Help with trading spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Sid McGyver, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sid McGyver

Sid McGyver Thread Starter

We are playing a silly game that is teaching me about trading on the Stock Market. I am trying to figure out how to work my spreadsheet up so that it will tell me when to buy and when to sell my stocks in certain companies. I have the basic spreadsheet with category, business, bought, sold, buy, sell but I am having a problem. I need a column to automatically tell me the lowest amount seen in "buy" and the highest amount seen in "sell". Is there a way to do this? I used to think I was proficient in Excel but this gives new meaning to "tearing your hair out" for me. I'm sure that there are pivot tables and all sorts of other things to utilize but I'm not sure how when I'm only wanting to see things a certain way. Can you help?:confused:

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

It sounds like all you need are two formulas. If your "buy" is in column A and your "sell" is in column B, they would be
    =MIN(A:A)
    and
    =MAX(B:B)

3. Sid McGyver

Thank you slurpee. That helps with the buy and sell but is there an easy way to be able to track the ups and downs to determine the buy and sell? In other words, if I check the market at 8am and gold is at 5K per share then check again at noon and see that gold is at 10k per share but I check at 3pm and gold is at 3k per share.........how to determine the lowest point and highest point so that the buy and sell would auto populate?

4. Sid McGyver

Would it help to upload my current spreadsheet? It isn't much but maybe give you an idea of what I'm trying to achieve without 100 columns of data.

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

Yes, uploading your file would help - just have a bit of data, but make copious notes about what you want as the final result.

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10 .... .... .... and it's .... .... .... pivot table! :D

7. Sid McGyver

I think I may have figured it out literally but I'm not sure on the formula. I've attached the spreadsheet. Here is what I think it should do so that only the important numbers change.

If d1 is less than or equal to e1 then g1=d1
    If d1 is greater than or equal to f1 then h1=d1

Does this make any sense? I want it to change the buy and sell based on the lows and highs that I identify from the "last check".

Example: If the lowest I've see brewery stock at is 5mil and the highest I've seen it at is 5mil then my buy and sell would be the same. However, if I check it tonight and it has gone up to 88mil then I want the sell to reflect that change when I enter it. This would mean manually changing the high and low which I can do as I don't think it would change that much over time unless we have another Enron incident! lol Tell me what you think and if there is a formula to plug in for that.

Attached Files:

8. slurpee55

slurpee55

Well, in G2 you could have
    =IF(D2<=E2,D2,"")
    and in H2 you could have
    =IF(D2>=F2,D2,"")

9. Sid McGyver

Yay! Thank you so much Slurpee! My mind was all jumbled up with learning all this stuff and I couldn't see the simplest solution to my spreadsheet problem. I appreciate it.

10. slurpee55

slurpee55

Glad to help. Been at that "jumbled up" place myself, plenty of times! :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice