1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel lowers my screen resolution

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Monk182, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Monk182

Monk182 Thread Starter

When I open Excel, the screen refreshes to a much lower (8bit) resolution. When I manually change it back, all is well, until I close it and reopen it again. Only Excel does this. I have 4GB of RAM of a Dell Studio 1737 64bit Laptop, running Vista Home Premium SP2. It started about three months after purchase. Once Excel is open, I can open & close spreadsheets without the change, provided I don't close Excel. If I don't bother to change it manually, it refreshes back to High Rez when I exit Excel.

I run HD video & other "hungry" programs without a hitch. It seems to be only when I open & close Excel 2003.

-Monk

2. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi Monk,
    Welcome to TSG. Sounds like it could be a problem with your display settings for Excel. Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11 (or whichever OFFICE number is highest - I forget what 2003 is). Right-click excel.exe and choose "Properties". Select the Compatibility tab and see if anything is checked under display settings. They should all be unchecked by default. Hope that helps.

3. Monk182

Monk182 Thread Starter

Yes! Thanks Wendy, you got me mostly there! The boxes were all unchecked, so after a little roaming, I went into the "Show Settings for All Users". That one had the 256 color box checked. I unchecked it, and all is well.

I bow in gratitude! -Monk

4. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Great, I'm glad you found it. (y) You can mark this solved with the button at the top of the thread.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice