1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel -Macro or Formula? Replace my data with similar required data - sample

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by LEONARDTRAILERS, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LEONARDTRAILERS

LEONARDTRAILERS Thread Starter

When i export my inventory from my DB into an excel file, my trailer brands are listed as they are in my DB (of course). But when i bulk upload them with XML feed to trailer inventory sites (HTW.com & HTT.com for our example here). My inventory is listed on their site, but it's not searchable because the brand search is a drop down menu on these sites.

Say i goto HTW.com and do a search for 'Blue Ribbon' trailers none of my blue ribbon trailers show up because all of mine are listed as 'BLUE RIBBON TRAILERS, LTD' and the site is searching for 'Blue Ribbon' and although they are the same trailer brand HTW.com does not see them.

What i'm looking for is maybe a Macro or even formula that once i tell it what site i'm working on, will go through my list and replace all my spellings with the proper ones for that site...

Attached is an XLS file with 3 columns, the first is my list as is from my DB, the other 2 columns are the proper spelling for each corresponding site...

Excel's find and replace feature is a VERY crude fix to this, but since it's so time consuming it's NOT a viable solution.

Any takers??

Slurpee? Zack? Anyone??

Attached Files:

2. LEONARDTRAILERS

for the record, a complete solution would be GREAT, but not necessary...
    I just need someone to point me in the right direction and maybe a small working sample of like 5 brands and i'll expand the list from there...

cheers

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Why not just create a new table in the database to hold alias names and link them to your orignal records?

Rollin

4. LEONARDTRAILERS

that's not a bad idea if the database here at my work wasn't some 1980's 'basturd' offspring of DOS and Unix... it's called "IDS"

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice