1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel: Print preview shows same page multiple times

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by itsmanaged, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. itsmanaged

itsmanaged Thread Starter

I have copied/pasted content into my excel workbook
    After adjusting row height on any worksheet, I click print preview and I get the same page 20 - 24 times shown in the preview. That is print preview believes it has 20 - 24 pages to print all with the same content. Subsequent content (Beyond the first page) is not displayed.

1. this only happens after I adjust the row height of any worksheet and it affects all the worksheets
    2. before any row height adjustments the sheets are displayed correctly in print preview
    3. after height adjustment, I expect the sheets to grow to perhaps two pages long perhaps three at most - I cannot however see the second (or third page) in print preview, only the first and that is repeated over and over

I have tried:
    Paste special - only paste the text, numbers etc. - result - same as above

Context: Several worksheets one for each client, have pasted past month's staff times from individual worksheets supplied into my single workbook.

2. draceplace

draceplace

What happens when you select the page break view (from view menu)? Also does this happen when opened from a different pc? Also select a different printer and see if it changes?

This is a wierd one!

3. itsmanaged

Thanks draceplace,
    Page break view shows some ( 2- 3 ) page breaks at the end of the sheet, but I would expect that to generate additional blank pages rather than repeated pages. In any case, the preview did not change when we removed them.

We did one better than trying it on another PC - we tried it on another PC, running Linux and Openoffice.org - it behaved the same except the number of repeated pages was less - 13 - 16 repeated pages, which I assumed was due to page formatting differences.

"Weird" is a very good description!

It really feels like non printable characters have somehow gotten into the cells, but I have tried copying and 'paste special', though thinking about it, I may just save it as csv and import it as such. Unfortunately there are formulae and formatting that will be lost, but at least it may prove or disprove the foreign chars theory.

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Is there any way you can post a small sample of your file?

5. itsmanaged

I tired copying and pasting to a new workbook to upload a sample, but noticed that the effect had disappeared.

I took another look at the page breaks via the page break view as you suggested draceplace and then looked up the properties of the page breaks - they were set to repeat the previous 30 lines or so!

So it was the page breaks and their specific formatting that had been copied from some other spreadsheet sometime! As our good friend Homer would say "doh!" at this point. The number of lines repeated were just enough to break the page when using A4 portrait, so the preview pages all appeared the same - except for the last row that seemed to change - though I didn't pay any attention to this at the time.

I use Open Office (the problematic spreadsheet came from our bookkeeper who uses MS Office), so I am not sure what the equivalent settings are in Excel, but the moral of the story is "spreadsheets can do wonderful and complex things - and totally baffle you in the process!".

Another thing I have to say is thanks - without your contributions, questions, suggestions I could have ended up retyping the whole work book. Cheers :)

6. draceplace

draceplace

Great news and good work!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice