Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Excel Question - Autopopulate Cells

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Zack Barresse 
#1 ·
I have a .csv file that can be dropped into Excel (see attached - "January Example for Email"). Look at column "F - Study Date Time". I need to auto populate that column of information, separated by total number of entries for a particular hour, into a second spreadsheet (see attached - "CT Exam Hourly Matrix").

Looking at "January Example for Email", column "F", the first entry is "1/1/2012 1:24". On that date, from the 1:00 - 2:00 hour (using 24 hr military time), there is one (1) entry to autopopulate into "CT Exam Hourly Matrix" B:3. The second entry in "January Example for Email", column "F" is "1/1/2012 10:43". So there is one (1) entry to autopopulate into "CT Exam Hourly Matrix" B:12.

Column/Row F:19 & 20 in "January Example for Email" has two (2) entries for that hour to be autopopulated into "CT Exam Hourly Matrix" C:18.

Therefore, the total number of entries for a specific hour will be tallied (sum) and transferred to the second spreadsheet in the appropriate column & row.

Is there a means to automate this process using only Excel or VBA or ??? I apologize for being completely Excel "challenged" and would be most grateful for your assistance. I have no idea what I am doing or how to do it. This is strictly a job related / personal need project to make my daily life sane again.

Thank you !

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
The error persists. Is there something I should be doing or should not be doing when opening the file?

This is the recovery log comments:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
- <recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main">
<logFileName>error093840_01.xml</logFileName>
Errors were detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\My.MY-D4B893EDCA37\Desktop\CT Exam Hourly Matrix.xlsm'
- <removedParts summary="Following is a list of removed parts:">
<removedPart>Removed Part: /xl/vbaProject.bin part. (Visual Basic for Applications (VBA))</removedPart>
</removedParts>
</recoveryLog>

#9 ·
The file is saved on my desktop. I've tried moving the file to the folder where the source excel file is located also (the file from which the data is obtained to be sorted). No go.

I wonder if it would make a difference to have the source code typed in on my system ? That would require step by step instructions for me to complete.

#10 ·
Hi there,

About your original question, we need some information. How are you wanting to start the process of moving ("autopopulating") the information? The term "autopopulate" would incur some action is needed to start this process. We can make this any way you want. Should this happen automatically? If so, what should start it? You hitting a button? When the file is closed?

Some additional questions:
  • Will this file always be the same, or will it be a different source file?
  • Will the data lawyas be in column F? If not, will the header always be the same?
  • Will the data format always be the same, date & time?
  • Are there any other restrictions, i.e. Status, etc?
  • Will it always be the first worksheet in the source file? If not, what name or position will it be?
  • Will the destination file always be the same? What about different months/years?
  • Will 2007 be the lowest version this will be used on?

As for the security, make sure the file is in a trusted location (Office button [top-left round button], Options, Trust Center, Trust Center Settings..., Trusted Locations), and on your Macro Settings (in Options), you have the checkbox checked of Trust access to the VBA project object model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.