Solved: Excel Register Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

legend1983

Im currently trying to produce a register for a kids activity centre on Excel.
Im wondering if theres any way i can get some form of error message or automatic notification if a kid has missed 2 concecutive sessions?

Please Help!!! lol

First, welcome to the forum!
It is not hard to do, but we would need more information on the worksheet.
You could use VBA or a macro to have a message pop up, you could use data validation to do the same thing, or you could use conditional formatting to change the color of the child's name (or the row or whatever) based on that problem.

legend1983

hey, thanx for the rapid response. lol

i was under the impression it would be easy until i tried it. lol

the sheet is basically a list of names in a column on the left and then each column to the right of that is a date column which will have some form of code or mark (undecided on this yet, but a 1 or 0 or similar) to signify present or absent.

This isn't very sophisticated (on the other hand, it is 5:30 in the morning here :( ) but it works.
I left the columns to the right visible, but in use I would hide them. In practical use, they could be put at the far right of the worksheet or even on another worksheet in the same workbook. All they do is see if the combination of two days is a blank - if so, the number 1 is entered, if not, a 0 is entered.

Attachments

legend1983

Thats pretty much what im looking for. Thats great.
Id got as far as the if functions but i didnt know how to set the conditional formatting to the entire row rather than the cell.

How do you do that bit???

legend1983

Ignore the last comment, ive just had a look at the formula and figured it out.

Thanks for the help :D

I see this is Solved, so this is just for fun (AKA me being contrary :D ).

The key for this is "consecutive" meaning adjacent, right? I reckon:

=FIND("$$$",$B2&"$"&$C2&"$"&$D2&"$"&$E2&"$"&$F2&"$"&$G2&"$")

will only find a "$$$" substring when 2 adjacent cells are blank.

Thus you could ditch the helper columns/formulas for one straight CF formula:

=FIND("$$$",$B2&"$"&$C2&"$"&$D2&"$"&$E2&"$"&$F2&"$"&$G2&"$")>0

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online