1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel Rows to Columns with a Twist

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by aineo, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aineo

aineo Thread Starter

I need to convert rows to columns in Excel like this:

Monday | 1
    Tuesday | 2
    Wednesday | 3
    Thursday | 4
    Friday | 5
    Monday | 6
    Tuesday | 7
    Wednesday | 8
    Thursday | 9
    Friday | 0

to:

Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
    6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 0

Is this possible?

Well, that didn't display at all like I expected. In short, I need the repeating headers in column A to become one set of headers in row 1 with the data corresponding to each header name below it. Does that make sense?

2. sajid974

sajid974

Try this :

1) copy the days i.e(MondayTuesdayWednesday Thursday Friday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
    2) Go to the required cell and right click and select "paste special as" then select "Transpose"
    You will get the data in this shape
    MondayTuesdayWednesday Thursday Friday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
    4) Repeat the same step for other data............

3. aineo

aineo Thread Starter

It was an unconventional method, but I was able to get this done. I first used the "paste special" transpose feature to get the rows to columns. I ended up with two empty rows between each set of data, so I saved it as a csv and then opened it in notepad. I replaced the three commas in a row with two commas and a line break character. I then opened the document in Wordpad, copied the data, and pasted it into notepad again. I then imported the document into Excel and added my headers to the top of the columns. I am not sure that made sense to anyone else, but it worked.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/742146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice