1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel search does not work Excel 2013

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by needhelp1950, Jul 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. needhelp1950

needhelp1950 Thread Starter

I cannot search for data in excel 2013. This is new issue. I do notice that in the find window there is an entry for Preview* in the box next to format in the options window that I have never seen before. I get the message cannot find what you are looking for but I know it is there because I am looking at it.

This is new issue. Worked until last night when I was doing a sort and had to make all merged cells uniform in size. Now I can sort but cannot find.

Have closed and reopened excel, but it did not correct problem.

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there,

The format preview has been there for many, many versions of Excel, since Excel 95 I think. If you're not finding what you're looking for, it's in your find parameters. Ensure exact match is appropriate, checking entire cell contents, etc. If you have a trailing space and you are matching all cell contents, it won't be a match. I would recommend entering edit mode in the cell you think you're trying to find, look in the formula bar, not the cell, and check those contents with what you're searching for.

I guarantee the Find method is the same as it's always been. :)

3. needhelp1950

I have not set any limitations on search. I have control A for the entire document and use control F to get to the find window. I type text that I am searching for and select find next. I get the we can't find the information you are looking for press options if you need further help; I press options and there are no limitations checked and I still get same measure.

I use this feature in excel at least 20+ times a business day and this is the first time I have had an issue like this. I know the text is there because I manually looked through the document and found it, but with 500 entries I cannot do that every time I need to find something.

I've used excel for 14 years and had 2013 since the first of the year and this is the first time I have encountered this issue.

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Well I guarantee you it's something in your find method. There is literally nothing which has changed on the application end of things. If you want to post the file we can look at it, and most likely be able to tell you what you need to change in order to get the results you're looking for.

At the most we can only tell you it's in your find settings, or the value you're looking for. I'd recommend looking at every single setting, ensuring it's correct and appropriate.

Also, for finding something in the entire sheet, you don't need to select everything, just have one single cell selected. What might be your problem is that when you press CTRL+A, it only selects the Current Region, not all cells. To get all cells, you'd have to press CTRL+A twice.

5. needhelp1950

After searching through hundreds of cells, I found one with an error triangle. Once I converted the content of that cell to number format, I was able to search.

Thank you for your responses.

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

You should be able to search for numbers, even if those numbers are stored as text. But without knowing more, we can't tell you why it didn't work. In any case, glad to hear you got it resolved. Next time it'd probably be faster/easier to post the file.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1129084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice