1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel Startup Problem

Discussion in 'Archive: Business Applications' started by lincan, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lincan

lincan Thread Starter

When I open Excel (Office 2003), several files are opening automatically with warnings that they are not recognizable formats. The files are systeminfo.ini and IO96~.tmp. They are text files and keep coming up even when I try to delete them.

I have done several Virus checks and Malware checks and all come up that my computer is clean. I don't know why this started to happen and I can't figure out how to stop it.

Help!
    Thanks

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there,

If you go to Tools | Options, check the files that open at startup (will be a text box). Is there anything there? The option to check in Windows Explorer is your Excel Startup folder (will be in a hidden 'Application Data' folder). Check that location, as it may have a funky starting location. The other option is to start Excel in safe mode. If you do a quick Google search on "excel startup switches" you'll see the different switches you can use to do this.

Let us know how it works out. :)

3. lincan

lincan Thread Starter

Thanks. In tools/options, it shows that the files should open at C:. As far as I can see, the Excel Startup folder is empty. I looked in the program file and there was another in temp, which I deleted. Now I'm trying to figure out how to run Excel in safe mode. Still working on that.

:)

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

The files should not open at C:, that is not right, which is probably where your systeminfo.ini is originating from. Take that out of there, save and close all Excel work along with the application, then re-open in normal mode (just open as you usually would). How does that work?

5. lincan

lincan Thread Starter

:D THANK YOU Zack! That did the trick. I got that C:\ out of there. Excel opened normally. I rebooted and its still working!

Linda

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Great!! Glad it worked for you and we found the source of the problem! Take care Linda. You can also make your thread as Solved by going to Thread Tools | Mark Solved | Perform Action. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice