1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel - Time Conversion

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Pikeman-1270, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pikeman-1270

Pikeman-1270 Thread Starter

Okay - this might be a ridiculously silly thing... but I've been working on a weekly time-card template.

I've got everything worked out except for one "minor" issue... the calculations of the total weekly hours worked - my supervisor wants to see this expressed in an HH:MM-style format.

For example: Someone has worked 38.25 hours this week... instead of displaying this as 38.25 - I would like it to be displayed as 38:15 (as in, 38-hours and 15-minutes)

Is this even possible?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

You should be able to right click on the box, and go to format cells, and choose the format, I think that should be one of the options

3. Pikeman-1270

- It doesn't "convert" through formatting because standard time-format is on a 12 or 24-hour clock...

Thus, anything more than 24-hours - cycles back over to 0:00 ... which means 38.25 converts to 6:15 or something like this.

4. The Villan

The Villan

This should do it (see attached file)

You need to select the cells that you want to format and then select Format, Cells, Custom, hh:mm

See format for cells in column C

Attached Files:

5. The Villan

The Villan

Pikeman, you are correct. My example works, but if you go over the 24 hour clock, you need to break the entries down in to day blocks.
    So 00:00 to 24:00 and 00:00 to 24:00 - so basically two lines of data.

6. Pikeman-1270

Okay - thanks. I figured out a way to do it (REALLY overly complicated & I think the accounting dept is just going to need to re-convert it BACK to a hourly format (38.25-hours) anyway. But ... y'know how it is... you give the boss what they want!

7. The Villan

The Villan

Indeed, especially if you want a salary increase :)

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

True, I don't know many payroll programs that let you enter hours differently than 5.5 or 5.25 etc.......even enter actual time, it's 8:00 to 8:15..........but, the boss is always right :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/729552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice