1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excel toolbar button for the Windows Calculator

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BobJam, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobJam

BobJam Thread Starter

I've been trying to set up a toolbar button in Excel that when clicked will bring up the Windows Calculator, but I just can't seem to find the way to do it. I know it can be done because I used to have it on my previous installation of Excel (Office Basic 2003 and my current installation is the same version).

Now I know I can just click on the Start Menu while I'm in Excel and then just go to Accessories and Calculator, but this is just a personal preference to have a toolbar button that will do the same thing.

I thought there was a Command Option that would allow me to just type in "calc.exe", but there's not. I tried a hyperlink to "Windows/System 32/calc.exe" and that works for the button (Custom button), but it gives a bunch of warnings before the Windows Calculator comes up. And as I recall, I never got those warnings before (one warns about hyperlinks and the other is similar).

And I looked on all the toolbar choices and I couldn't find any Windows Calculator button. There IS an Excel calculator button(s) to recalculate spreadsheets, but that's NOT what I want - I want the Windows Calculator.

I tried recording a macro and assigning it to the button, but the minute you go out of Excel the macro recorder doesn't record.

I also tried VBA, but I couldn't find any simple code to execute the calc.exe program. I thought maybe there would be a simple "run" statement, but I don't think there is. Actually, I'm not all that familiar with VBA code, so maybe there IS a way to do it with VBA.

But I certainly didn't use VBA the last time I did it. It was something simple (and, YES, I know that going through the Start Menu would probably be just as simple, but now it's become one of those "challenges").

And I've Googled and gone to the MS Office site, and still not found anything of help.

Anyway, this isn't really a "stop the presses" inquiry here. Just wondering how I did it before.

Any hints???

2. cams-dad

cams-dad

Actually... I'm running Office 2003 Pro and it has the Windows Calculator as a button called "custom". Under Toolbars> Customize> Commands Tab, clicked on Tools in the left window and scrolled about 2/3 of the way down in the right window. I've got two "Custom" buttons listed after "Camera" and before "Select Names"; one with a deck of cards icon and the other with a calulator icon. Drug it up to my tool bar, saved the settings, and the Windows calculator opens from it. Solitare opens with the deck of cards icon :)

I didn't even know they were there.... cool.

3. BobJam

BobJam Thread Starter

Hey cams-dad,

THAT WAS IT!!!! THANKS very much. I knew it was simple.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice