Solved: EXCEL Wrap Text

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kolias

In my database I have select all cells to wrap text but when the text is longer that the column width, the text wraps ok but I have to manually increase each row’s height to be able to see the text.

Is there a setting to have Excel increase the row height as needed to be able to see the contents?

etaf

Wayne
i use a macro to autofit , after any update
as follows

Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
ActiveSheet.Rows.AutoFit
End Sub

You didn't mention the version of Excel but in 2010/2013 there is a 'wrap text' Icon on the home tab.

Select the whole spreadsheet by clicking the top left corner of the spreadsheet.
Clicking the 'wrap' text icon on home page\allingment section will turn wrap text on and off. (easier than going into 'propertes\format')
You can then select by columns the fields you want to auto fit.
With the whole column vertically selected, Hover over the column label (like "A") when the cursur changes from the down arrow to a plus sign (cursor will be near the edge) double click and that column will auto fit(horizonally if wrap is off). You can select multiple columns to auto fit as as well.

Kolias

Sorry for the omission, I use Excel 2013

Dan I already do selecting all the sheet and format with the wrap text but I didn’t know about the column select trick, that’s pretty neat

Wayne it’s a long time since I did macros, how / where I do make the macro? And then how do I applied? Perhaps by selecting all the sheet and apply the macro?

Thanks to both for the help

etaf

Wayne
the macro is automatic
which can make entering data slow

goto developer
visual basic

Kolias

ok I got the developer / VB, do I insert a UserForm, Module or Class Module?

etaf

Wayne
you should see
This workbook - under VBAProject

you can add there

OR you can click on the sheet number , under vbaproject

make sure you also save as a macro enabled workbook

or load a sample workbook here

Kolias

Thanks Wayne, I went to Macros, selected this workbook, paste the code as per above and saved the file as .XLSM. Now when I type in a cell a long text the row still does not expand. What is wrong?

etaf

Wayne
no, its stopped working for me !!!!! was working a few months ago, when I put together for a customer search
not sure why - sorry about that :(

A note on my previous post. If you select multiple columns vertically it will 'auto fit' them all when you do the plus sign double click as well (instead of one at a time).

Keebellah

Hans
Trusted Advisor
You could still use the macro and also include a maximum column with (and row height).
You could even include options to increase the column width based upon the total length of the text, but then again avoid that the column width becomes too wide but keep the row height dynamic too.

Kolias

I only have Office2013 since last September and I must say that I hate the new ribbon menus (I had before Office2002). The guy who designed the ribbon should be banned for life from working in programming because to my opinion he made it worse than ever.

I used to do all my work in Excel / Word with keyboard shortcuts and now most of these are gone and have to go thru the ribbons to find what I need (very inconvenient and time consuming)

Anyway I found under the HOME ribbon, Format Tab, the “AutoFit Row Height” and this is what I was looking for. Regardless of my column width, when I type a long text and hit Enter the row adjust to fit my text.

Thank you all

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online