1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excell 2000 to Excell 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ksquared, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ksquared

ksquared Thread Starter

Hi,

I don't really know how to ask this but here goes...

I recently bought a new PC which is running MS Office Pro 2000. My old PC has MS Office PRO 2000. When I open Excell on my old PC, it comes up as "Microsoft Excell - Personal". Many years, actually many many years ago, when I started using macros I vaguelly remember doing something here, creating a spreadsheet called personal which is storing all of my macros. After I did what it was I did, everytime I launch excell it always opens with a workbook called "personal" even though I have no idea where it lives. It seems like I went somewhere else to set this up.

WHat I want to do is transfer my settings and my macros from Excell 2000 to Excell 2007? In other words I want Excell 2007 to look and function the same as my old set up. I feel like a real dunce here as I don't even know if I'm asking the right quesitons (let alone know what to search for). Can someone help.

Thanks.

2. ksquared

ksquared Thread Starter

Nothing like a fresh look in the AM. I think we go brain dead late at night.

I found the folder that stores my macros. It was located in C:/Documents and Settings/ User name/Application data/MicrosoftExcell/XLstart/personal.xls

On my new PC the XLstart directory was located in C:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12/XLstart

I copied personal.xls to the XLstart folder on the new PC. When I open Excell it opens with the same as it did on my old and my macros are working.

To find the Macros select "View" form the toolbar ribbon. To creat a new macro, select "Developer" from the toolbar ribbon. If "Developer" isn't displaying on your ribbon click the MS Office icon (located in the top left hand corner), select Excell option (located on the bottom right hand corner) and check "Show Developer tab in the ribbon".

3. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

If you can transfer your data from your old Personal.xls file to a new one, with the new file formats the Personal file is now Personal.xlsb, which is a binary file format (meaning it can hold/store macros, is not solely a macro-enabled file, and is a much smaller file storage format). You should be able to do a SaveAs on it.

Glad you found what you were looking for!

4. ksquared

ksquared Thread Starter

Rather than open another thread I thought I would just add to this one.

I want to change the the defualt directory when I open or save a file in Excell 2007. Right now it's using "My Documents" as the default directory.

In the previous version (2000) I could specify the default directory by..

Clinking on "Tools"
    selecting "Options"
    Going to the "General" tab
    and populating the path in the "default file location"
    I could also set my default fonts and number of sheets on the same page

I can locate the "default fonts" and "number of sheets" on the Excell Option section but the "define file location" field apparently moved elswhere. A spot for a defualt directory seems to have moved in 2007. I'm sure it must still be available, somewhere, but where?

Any help here would be appreciated.

5. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Sure. :)

Click on the Office Button (big round one in the upper left), click Excel Options. Now on the left you'll see some options, click on the Save option. You should see a default save location now listed on the right-hand side. Change it to whatever you'd like.

HTH

6. ksquared

ksquared Thread Starter

THanks! I hadn't looked at the "save" option. I was able to successfully populate the default directory in the appropriate field. The probelm now is that it (defualt directory) defaults back to "My Documents" whenever I close and reopen Excel. Do you know where I can make the change permanent and across all of the MSOffice programs (WOrd, Excel, and Access). It does the same thibng (reverts back to My Documents) in all 3 programs.

7. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hmm, not sure. You are pressing the OK button, right? that's odd that it won't save.

8. ksquared

ksquared Thread Starter

Thank-you Firefytr for your instructions and your help.

I am a duncel. There are 2 locations/sections to populate and I didn't read carefully enough.

Special Instruction for those of us (me) who don't read carefully enough:

In the Save Workbooks section:
    Change the Auto Recovery Location to where you want you files saved should your system crash.
    Change the Default File Location to where you want Excel to go when you open a file.

9. ksquared

ksquared Thread Starter

Hello again,

I'm having trouble with the way the Find and Select displays the data I'm looking for.

In Excel 2000 whenever I did a search, the contents of the cell was bolded or highlighted in a way that the cell was easy to see.

When I use the Find and Select function in Excel 2007 the cell is highlighted but the contrast between the found cell and the other cells isn't enough.

Excel 2007 example:
    I select either a colum or the entire spreadsheet and the backgorund color of my selection turns "light blue".

I than click on Find and Select, than "find" and populate "Find what" with whatever I'm looking for and than click "Find next".

It finds the cells that contain what I'm looking for and changes the backgorund color of the cell from pale blue to white.

How can I make the cell that contains the found data more pronouced so it's easier to see. Is there a way to change the backgorund color when I select the colum darker or bold the text in the cell once the data is found. Anything that would make it easier to see.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

10. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

These are part of your system colors and has nothing to do with Excel. When you select a range and do a Find within that range, the selection will not move. Thus the found cell will be the Active cell, thus being the white, or non-pale blue, colored cell in the selection range. You would need to change these from your Display options from the Control Panel.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice