1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Excell Cross-Platform

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cpaquette, Sep 7, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cpaquette

cpaquette Thread Starter

When we try to open an Excel document created in Microsoft Office '98 on Mac in Excel 2000 on a Windows '98 platform, the worksheet comes up in a condensed size. Row and column size are smaller than original.

Fonts are not the problem. Word documents using same fonts open fine across the two platforms.

Tried help menues and Micosoft web site ... cannot find any reference to problem.

2. tjsudo

tjsudo

Hi!
    Isn't that simply a resolution problem?
    like Mac is running on 800 by 600 pixels and
    PC on 1024 by 768 pixels?
    You didn't mention, but if your spread sheet is copressed, there should be some blank space on the screen somewhere unless it shows more column and rows.

3. cpaquette

cpaquette Thread Starter

The resolutions almost match ... Mac is 832x624 and the PC is 800x600. Even if the resolutions were different, it should still print correctly, shouldn't it?

Image comes out centered on page with the extra space in the margins. Even logo shows up as condensed.

Thanks for your help.

4. tjsudo

tjsudo

Well, I tried different resolution on my machine. It looked different on the monitor but print outs are same.
    Let me bring you up and see if someone can help you.
    About the extra margins, does that space matches the figures stated in page set up?
    And on the screen it shows more columns and rows, right?
    TJ

5. cpaquette

cpaquette Thread Starter

I found the answer to my problem ...

The default font for Excel on the Mac is Geneva. Even though the cells were formatted for a different font, Excel uses the default "style" font to calculate the width and height of the cells.

When the file is brought over to the PC, it can't find Geneva and doesn't substitute a font in its place. This caused the dimensions to change on the worksheet. When I went in to the FORMAT ---> STYLE menu and changed the font from Geneva, it worked.

Even using the same fonts on both platforms, there is still a slight variance in the dimensions although it isn't as dramatic as what I was seeing.

Thanks for your help.

-- Carl

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/37383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice