1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excellent connection to wireless network, but sometime internet stops working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fsvolk13, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fsvolk13

fsvolk13 Thread Starter

I bought a new HP Pavilion dv7-02185dx Entertainment Notebook PC (laptop) which runs Vista. I have a LynkSys Wireless router model WRT54G v4. Since I bought the laptop, I have an intermittent problem getting the internet using Internet Explorer 8 (have not tried other browers). Sometimes internet works fine, however, sometimes I have a problem when I click a link or open a new page. When the problem occurs, I get an error webpage stating "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" with a button on the page "Diagnose Connection Problems." When I click this button, I eventually get a window that says "Windows did not find any problems with this computer's network connection."

However, when this problem occurs, I check the network connection by going Start/Connect to. When I look at my network, it says connected and that I have an excellent signal (all 5 bars are green).

To temporarily fix the problem, I right click on the wireless network and click Diagnosis. On the window that comes up, I click "Reset the network adapter "Wireless Network Connection" subtitle (Resetting the adapter can sometimes resolve and intermittent problem." When I click this, it looks like it goes through some repairing process and I eventually get a window that states "The problem has been resolved." If I go back to the webpage with the initial error and refresh (f5), I do get the correct website and everything seems to be fine. However, sometimes I need to repeat this process again after 5 minutes. Other times I can go for an hour. Have not see any pattern as to when the internet stops working.

If anyone knows how I can always have the internet without having to "Reset the Network Adapter" every so often, that would be great.

Other information:
    I use a WEP secured connection and have the network security key.

I always have to "Reset the network adapter "Wireless Network Connection" " after the computer goes to sleep. Have not determined if this is a function of the hibernation, or enough time has elapsed where I need to reset again anyway.

When I hardwire connect the laptop to the same router, I have no issues. (Other than I have to stay next to the router, which defeats the purpose of the laptop.)

I have a laptop from work that runs XP and has no problems connecting wirelessly through this same router.

It seems like others may have similar problems, but couldn't find exact solution. Sorry for any repeats. I wouldn't call myself computer savvy, so detailed "how to" would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd start by downloading and installing the latest wireless drivers for that machine, that seems to be where the issue might lie.

3. fsvolk13

fsvolk13 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I went and downloaded the most recent drivers (as well as rebooting the router, and other things), the connection seems to be stable.

Sorry for the delayed response.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No problem, thanks for the feedback.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/869618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice