1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Excellent Connection with router but cannot connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by syco007, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syco007

syco007 Thread Starter

I have been running Buffalo G54S Airstation router for quite a while now.
    I just bought a netgear WG511T adapter, after installing the software and connecting the device in my laptop, I get excellent signal to my XP wireless network but everytime I try to connect to the internet I just can't do that.
    I have triple checked the WEP encription on the adapter and the router, I have also checked all the firewall settings and thats OK, my router also shows that the adapter is connected as the client but still I can't get access to the internet on my laptop in the same room.

Any help will be much appreciated.

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Hello
    try this please

start run cmd
    ipconfig/all

right click select all copy and enter

paste in a reply please

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Can you connect with that laptop if you connect it with a cable to the router?

4. syco007

syco007 Thread Starter

I just connected the adapter again today and guess what, it still shows that its getting excellent signal from my router but the windows network settings can't detect any wireless network now.
    I have disabled WEP encription key right now on my router but still no luck.

I tried connecting my laptop with the router via ethernet cable and still it didn't detect the internet.
    And when I did "ipconfig/all" in command propmt, it just said IP Configuration and thats it.
    Please help!! this is extremely frustrating.

5. syco007

syco007 Thread Starter

I fixed the above problem. The only problem I am having right now is acquiring IP address as my windows can't seem to find the IP address for the client system.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I fixed the above problem."

Which above problem--cannot connect wireless, cannot connect ethernet, or ipconfig /all does not work?

7. syco007

syco007 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I truly appreciate it,
    The problem is:
    The connection cannot acquire IP Address, Subnet mask and default gateaway.
    In the connection status of the windows network connection the address type is "Invalid IP address"

8. syco007

syco007 Thread Starter

Hey! Good news!!! I solved it. thanks for your help too, its much appreciated.

Basically I was on WEP encription security which was actually giving windows problems.
    As soon as I changed to wpa-psk encription, it worked like a charm.
    I know a lot of people get this same problem of "Acquiring IP Address", well I hope this helps.
    This has been doing my head in since yesterday.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice