1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: .EXE Back to .BAT

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by CarnageX3, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CarnageX3

CarnageX3 Thread Starter

I need to know if its anyway possible to turn a .EXE file back into a .BAT file, i used a program that turns .BAT files into .EXE, so i did it to one of my Batch files. I formatted my drive with the Batch file on it, i still have the .EXE file version of it. I really need the code, i worked hard on it, any way to get it back?:confused:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no way to answer the question. Only the program that made the conversion can convert it back since there is no way to know how the conversion was done. You'd need to know if the converter changed the batch file into C, or VBS, or what, and then what it did after that. How did you convert it?

3. Codiah

Codiah

Well this is possible... the truth is most Batch to EXE converters don't actually convert your code, but instead wrap them in an exe file.. so when you run your exe what its actually doing is placing a copy of your original batch file into your temporary directory and running it from there...

what you need to do is open your user file.. thats the directory that holds your documents and pictures and whatnot.. and at the end of your user directory in the address bar, type..

\AppData\Local\Temp

and hit enter.. that should bring you into your local temporary folder.. now that your in you folder run your .exe program, you should notice a new folder appear with a short string of random charecters.. open that file and inside will be a dll made by the exe converter, as well as your origional batch file completely unchanged...

i will note that this is the location of the temp folderon vista.. it may be different for XP, i'm not certian... but if you do a search for Temp and enable your search to show hidden files you should find it no problem...

4. Codiah

Codiah

Wanted to add.. if you do in fact have a Batch file converter that really does convert your files and not just wrap them... i'd like to know what the name of the program is, as i've been looking for one... but all the ones i know of are simply wrappers..

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You can access the local temp folder by typing %temp% into the Run box, or the address/location bar in Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, or My Computer on most all versions of Windows.

HTH

Jerry

6. Codiah

Codiah

thanks for the tip, i'll have to jot that down for future reference..

7. CarnageX3

CarnageX3 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, your right, i looked in the temp folder and their it was!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice