1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: expansion card for Sata 3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aprilair, Aug 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aprilair

Aprilair Thread Starter

Hello, I am a newbie and need some help. I have purchased one Samsung 850 PRO SSD 128GB solid state drive and plan to install a brand new, retail version, of Windows 7 on it; plus no more than probably 8 to 10 favorite applications such as, Google, Internet Explorer Microsoft Office etc. I have around a 5 year computer that has SATA 2 ports on the motherboard with all expansion slots unused. My computer is a HP a6700f pavilion desktop http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01612528 , http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c01612528 . It has the following, unused, expansion slots:
    • 1 PCI Express x16 slot
    • 2 PCI Express x1 slots
    • 1 PCI slot

I have also purchased two separate, but identical, WD 1 TB hard disk drives (WD Black). My one SSD and two HDD’s have the Sata III interface, but my motherboard has only Sata II. From much research I have decided that to get the full, or close to, 6GB’s provided by Sata 3, I would purchase a Sata 3 expansion card. I also determined that to get a Sata expansion card that has a X 4 interface would put me close to 6 GB’s and thus get the full potential, out of my new sata 3 drives. I have chosen the HighPoint Rocket 640L 4-Port SATA 6 Gbps PCIe 2.0 x4 Host Bus Adapter http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847972-REG/HighPoint_R640L_ROCKET_600L_4_INT_PRT.html as it has a 2.0 X 4 interface. It don’t think my motherboard is configured for RAID, as I don’t see the needed controller or anything in BIOS that mentions RAID, and that’s OK with me. So hopefully, I could use the JBOD mode, as I don’t have to have raid anyway and use the X 4 card to get the maximum potential of my three Sata 3 drives. I am not a gamer and don’t plan to use the X 16 slot for anything else.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am not experienced enough to make these decisions on my own. Aprilair

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That card is a raid controller however you do not have to use raid.
    As for the mech hard drives, no mech hard disk even comes close to sata2 speed. You would not see any difference using the controller card or the mb controller; both would work.

Just an opinion however I would not expect great performance from a $65 raid card. A high end raid card with its own memory, costs hundreds of dollars. In short, you get what you pay for.

3. Aprilair

Aprilair Thread Starter

Maybe my best alternative would be to use my three usable Sata2 ports on motherboard, for the hard drives and maybe even my solid state drive; although I was hoping to at least get Sata3 speed out of SSD. Could anyone tell me if I could set-up Raid 1 on my computer and use my two identical hard drives for Raid 1. I was never quite sure how to go about it and was under the assumption that I could not use it with my system, as there was no evidence of Raid set-up in Bios and no ACHI controller found; maybe that was only for software raid and not hardware raid. Also, any suggestions how to supply Sata3 to my SSD when I only have a Sata2 motherboard.

Thanks to crjdriver for the much needed help.
    Aprilair

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I looked at your mb specs and it really does not say much in regard to sata mode. If you do not see an option in the bios for config raid, then you probably do not have the option.
    The only way is what you have already found; install a controller card OR install a modern motherboard with sata3 ports. The second option is not really viable with a hp since changing the mb voids your windows lic.

5. Aprilair

Aprilair Thread Starter

I purchased a controller card that provides ports with Sata 3 capability. Thanks again for the input crjdriver.
    Aprilair

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1153225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice