1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Expansion Slots : 0 - PCI-E x16, 0 - PCI-E x1, 1 - PCI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bwhatch2, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bwhatch2

bwhatch2 Thread Starter

i've got a couple expansion slots on my new system and i am at a loss as to what they are. i got the numbers off the manufacturers website and googled them and found tons of info but it all was way above my head. they almost look like two little pull out drawers you could put hard drives in then plug them back in, but a hard drive doesnt quite fit. here's a link if you want to take a look at the whole system.http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668232.php you can't really see the slots in any of the pictures though, they are about 2/3 down from the top, on the font of the computer, right below the rca jacks that you see folded out. can anyone tell me what these are for in non-techy terms?
    thanks

2. bwhatch2

bwhatch2 Thread Starter

really, come on? somebody reading this knows, please help.

3. dave0700

dave0700

[​IMG]

This is what i could find for you, looks like it is a hard drive expansion bay, means you don't not have to open the box to install another HDD or maybe a hotswap bay

4. bwhatch2

bwhatch2 Thread Starter

it definitely looks like a hard drive bay but neither of the hard drives i have fit, they're to short. so i figured gateway might have a drive specifically designed to fit. i called them and they wanted 60 bucks just to talk to me. i could hardly believe it. anyway, thanks for the info.

5. Wino

Wino

The drawers are for SATA hard drives - not hot swappable according to Gateway. Recommended for making backups of main drives and/or additional storage. HDD snaps into drawer frame and plugs into power & SATA connectors when closed. This info is available at Gateway's web site. Gateway is specific in that computer is to be powered down before installing or removing.

6. dave0700

dave0700

when i worked in dell, any system having a swap bay would require a loading rail/fitment on which you would first mount the hdd, then load the assembly in the bay, i guess this is what happens with gateway too

i looked up your model number and could not find anything, suggest you call their sales and try to ask for a sales Q that sells parts

7. Wino

Wino

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/948338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice