1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "Explore" option lost after right-clicking USB, DVD

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jai_bautista, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jai_bautista

jai_bautista Thread Starter

Hi everyone!

This is my first time to post in this forum. I searched the net for answers regarding my problem as states in my title above yet I can't find any definitive answers.

Here's what happened: I was transferring files from my sister's netbook (Win XP) to my laptop (Windows 7) using my USB flash drive. After I inserted the USB in one of the laptop's USB ports, my antivirus program initially detected that something's wrong with the USB drive; it said that it had a virus (autorun.inf and Recycler). As far as I am concerned, I turned off all autoplay notifications for any USB drives inserted to my laptop. After cleaning the USB drive of the autorun.inf and Recycler problems, I tried to open the USB drive usiing:

Right Click -> Explore

However, to my great surprise, the "Explore" option was missing and the only options left for opening my USB drive were these:

Open
    Open in new Window
    Open Autoplay...

Initially, my reaction was to load my antivirus program (ESET NOD32) and scan the USB drive, thinking that the USB drive had a virus infection of some sort. The scan didn't detect any virus or malware. So I tried using another USB drive to check if the same options will appear. And appear they did without the "Explore" option! I also tried inserting a DVD where I hid all my files; the same options stated above appeared without the "Explore" option.

So what I did was to scan my whole computer to see if there's a problem using Nod32 and Spybot S&D. The scans were inconclusive.

Since I am double booting with Vista, I tried to insert the aforementioned devices to see if I am going to experience the same problems. Fortunately, when I right-clicked the said devices the Explore option appeared everytime.

What do you think happened to my Windows 7 environment where I cannot see the "Explore" option whenever I right-click a USB flash drive/data DVD? I really am concerned with what happened to this Windows partition 7 of mine since I tried solving the problem by running thorough scans yet every scan returned nothing in particular. How am I going to restore that "Explore" option? Is my partition compromised?

I hope to hear from you guys and gals very soon.

Thanks a lot in advance!

2. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

Windows 7 no longer includes the "Explore" context menu item. You can verify this by checking ANY folder.

3. jai_bautista

Hey Nick,

Is that really true?

I think I just saw the Explore context menu (so that was called context menu! Gaaah, that only reveals my ineptitude to learn basic stuff about PCs) only a few days ago. Because it has been my practice, both in XP and in Vista, to click Explore when opening a USB thumb drive or a DVD in order to avoid viruses from infesting my system.

If that is really the case, that the Explore context menu has been completely removed from Windows 7, should I feel secure by simply hitting Open after right-clicking a USB thumb drive, that no autorun.inf malware or virus will ever get into my system?

Thanks a lot Nick!

P.S. It's not that I am questioning Nick's knowledge about this, but can others testify that the Explore context menu has indeed been removed from Windows 7?

4. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

On Windows 7, USB flash drives the autoplay function isnt activated when using the Open context menu item.

The Windows Explorer "Explore" functionality has been merged completely into the main shell in Windows 7, as you notice when you are presented with the folder listing all the time when using Windows Explorer.

Others may verify if they wish, however until then I will give you a screenshot of my system, Windows 7 RC Build 7100

Attached Files:

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

No Explore option on My copy of Win7, just Open.

6. jai_bautista

It seems I sounded the alarm way too early. :p

Thanks Nick and TheOutcaste! I hope this post also helps anyone having concerns that are the same as mine.

Thanks a lot! :D :D :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/835661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice