1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Explorer acting funny at startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by theseus75, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theseus75

theseus75 Thread Starter

The problem I'm having seems to be isolated to explorer.exe, that is that when I start the computer, not everything that is supposed to start does. For instance, the small, two monitor icon that denotes connectivity in the bottom right of the screen does not come up, and until this happens (and nothing in particular seems to cause it to happen, but rather it's suddenly "wakes up" at random) there are a number of things I cannot do: I can't use the start menu, for instance. I can't right click on anything or else Explorer locks up. Again, no specific sequence seems to be the cause of the computer snapping out of it, sometimes it doesn't do it at all. In safe mode, this problem typically does not occur, but in order to troubleshoot the possible cause I have had to go into regular mode in order to uninstall some recently installed programs. However, I have uninstalled everything I can think of that I have installed lately, and still every time I start the computer, I have this problem at least for several minutes while I perform this task or other trying to get Explorer to activate properly.

I have conducted CHKDSK, ScanDisk, a full virus, spyware, ad aware sweep, to include using Windows washer to get rid of all temporary files. I have used tuneup to clean up as well as defrag the registry. I have no unnecessary or on the identified programs starting at startup (which I checked using MS config). Short of reinstalling Windows (which I would like to avoid) I am pretty much out of ideas. I should mention, that the problem of doesn't seem quite as debilitating since I uninstalled window blinds, which I was using to apply visual themes.

Windows XP with SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 3200 (Socket A)
    L1 Cache 128kb
    L2 Cache 512kb
    2 Gigs Corsair DDR 400 RAM and one 512mb OCZ DDR 400 stick
    ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE mobo (with latest 1013 Phoenix BIOS)
    Radeon X850XT graphics card
    Audigy ZS Gamer
    150gb Western Digital Raptor Sata HDD
    160gb Barracuda 7,200 Sata HDD
    Direct X 9.0c

2. KeltikJazz

KeltikJazz

theseus
    I don't have a specific solution for you, but I can point you in the right direction. About a year and a half ago I had the same problem. I ran spyware and virus checks, defragged, and ran scandisk....but still had the problems. I remember having to download a program called HiJackThis which ran a scan of my pc and what processes were running as my pc booted up. I then posted the scan results on a forum and some techs told me what to do. The problem was some background activex controls running through IE. I hope this at least gets you started.

3. theseus75

theseus75 Thread Starter

I'll give it a try. The log is posted below, though I may need to start a new thread for it; we'll see. Thanks a bunch.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 8:44:00 AM, on 1/29/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Stardock\SDMCP.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
    C:\Program Files\DebugDiag\DbgSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\mdm.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall\persfw.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\CTHELPER.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllhost.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program

Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program

Files\Java\jre1.5.0_10\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat

8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LXCCCATS] rundll32

C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LXCCtime.dll,[email protected]
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [type32] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - Startup: Stardock ObjectDock.lnk = C:\Program Files\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat

8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat

8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat

O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program

Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel -

res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Sothink SWF Catcher - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SourceTec\SWF

Catcher\InternetExplorer.htm
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} -

C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {B205A35E-1FC4-4CE3-818B-899DBBB3388C} - C:\Program Files\Common

Files\Microsoft Shared\Encarta Search Bar\ENCSBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Sothink SWF Catcher - {E19ADC6E-3909-43E4-9A89-B7B676377EE3} - C:\Program

Files\Common Files\SourceTec\SWF Catcher\InternetExplorer.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sothink SWF Catcher - {E19ADC6E-3909-43E4-9A89-B7B676377EE3} -

C:\Program Files\Common Files\SourceTec\SWF Catcher\InternetExplorer.htm
    O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) -

http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/wl/activex/eBay_Enhanced_Picture_Control_v1-0-3-48.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) -

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1149026194015
    O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common

Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
    O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - {807563E5-5146-11D5-A672-00B0D022E945} -

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE12\MSOXMLMF.DLL
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: MCPClient - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Stardock\mcpstub.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\system32\NavLogon.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - WRLogonNTF.dll (file missing)
    O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} -

C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems

Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. -

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. -

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd -

C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
    O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common

Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program

Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: lxcc_device - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxcccoms.exe
    O23 - Service: MySQL - Unknown owner - C:\Program.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: NTLOAD - Unknown owner - c:\windows\system32\dllcache\win32\winlogon.exe
    O23 - Service: Kerio Personal Firewall (PersFw) - Kerio Technologies - C:\Program

Files\Kerio\Personal Firewall\persfw.exe
    O23 - Service: wampapache - Unknown owner - c:\wamp\Apache2\bin\Apache.exe" -k runservice (file

missing)
    O23 - Service: wampmysqld - Unknown owner - c:\wamp\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt.exe

4. theseus75

theseus75 Thread Starter

Reloaded the OS after never finding a solution. Perhaps the OS (Windows) is the real culprit, but...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice