[Solved] explorer.exe error on shutdown

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

FredWB

Well it could be worse. At least no blue screens right. Yet it's annoying to the see the application error window generated by explorer.exe on ever shutdown or reboot. So far I've searched this site and have seen similar problems with explorer.exe but no info found has been much help. I have a pent IV ASUS MB 60 gb maxtor 133, promise card, 512 meg memory 400 fSB, quadro graphics card, home network with cable modem, norton firewall/anti virus, linksys router. This problem just recently developed and I have not figured out the cause yet. Everything else appears normal.

I've run the latest norton virus check, ad-aware 6.0, spybot and startuplist. I don't see anything abnormal in the list and have compared to another computer. I reinstall win 2000 sp4 as well and have all the lastest security updates installed. Any help would be most appreciated. I'm afraid I might have to reinstall win 2000 to fix this if it really bothers me. Thanks in advance.

FredWB

The dialog box title is something like explore.exe application error. The message is "The instruction at 00X...... referenced memory at 0X00000000. The memory could not be read. It flashes by so quickly that I can hardly read it. I'm sure about the exact address. If it helps I can try a few more times to get it. I know that you can sometimes get this sort of message when reading or writing to an array location that doesn't exist. I've done some C++ programming and I've seen messages like this before and have not found the address locations very useful by themselves.

FredWB

By disabling Norton Anit-virus 2002 autoprotect I was able to avoid getting the explorer.exe application error message on shutdown. So far I have not found anything on their site about this. Probably an update to 2003 would fix this. I'm running the same software on 3 other computers without any problems.....very strange.

FredWB

Here's my hijack output if this helps:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.95.1
Scan saved at 2:53:11 PM, on 7/26/2003
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperWorkstation\DKService.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\SymProxySvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISSERV.EXE
C:\Program Files\ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\IAMAPP.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ATRACK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpoevm08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Bin\hpoSTS08.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\WinZip\winzip32.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\FREDB~2.PAR\LOCALS~1\Temp\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINNT\System32\blank.htm
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINNT\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program Files\ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iamapp] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\IAMAPP.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\system32\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 2000 Series.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/yinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?37775.8544907407
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/activedata/SymAData.dll
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/activedata/ActiveData.cab

FredWB

Thanks. This looks very painful, but not as bad as a complete reinstall of win2K. Most of what I see is needed even though it's a lot. Many are for the HP printer and a bunch are for the Cannon Camera. Outside of that and Norton, Office, Solidworks, and all the diagnostic stuff I've added to sort out this problem, I really don't have much in the way of junk programs. I just installed this HD about a month ago. What a nightmare but I understand what you mean by dll hell. I think I have a set of recent restore/fix diskettes I might try first. I did get Norton 2003 without any improvement. Thanks again.

FredWB

Worked around the problem by adding a new user login and then configured in about 15 min.

Cool, thanks for sharing the good news. I will mark your thread solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!