1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Explorer.exe - Unable to locate component

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by douglar02, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. douglar02

douglar02 Thread Starter

Right off the bat i knew this was not a good sign since explorer is so well integrated into windows. I tryed to remove some spyware and upon reboot everything was fine until you choose your user. Once that happens a error box comes up reading:

Explorer.exe - Unable to locate component

Failed to start because wininet.dll was not found. Re-installing this may fix the problem.

I tryed booting from the windows xp home edition cd but was unsuccesful.

I really have some important files on the pc and home i can get this issue handled without doing anything crazy like taking the HD out and moving the files to this pc.

Edit: Important note: The start menu and no icons load up. Just my background.

Thanks for the help!
    Kyle

2. online_fixes

online_fixes

What happened when you tried booting from the XP Home Edition CD?

3. The Hound

The Hound

If you can open the task manager (ctrl+alt+del), click file, new task (run), and type sfc /scannow and click ok. Have your XP cd ready...

4. douglar02

douglar02 Thread Starter

When i boot from the cd it asks me for the admin password, since there isnt one i just enter and it goes through to the startup. Then i would click a username and it would give the same error message

With the sfc /scannow it gives me the same error message excecept for Taskmanager.exe.. even though it is already open. missing that win .dll file

5. douglar02

douglar02 Thread Starter

If i go to file open, i can browse to the files i want in word and such and can open them successfully in msword03... So i think i just need to get that win dll file back on the pc and i will be set?

6. The Hound

The Hound

Here's the wininet.dll file from microsoft...zipped. Unzip and copy to c:\windows\system32.

Attached Files:

7. douglar02

douglar02 Thread Starter

thank you.. that worked

8. The Hound

The Hound

Good deal...please use the thread tools at the top right to mark this one solved...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice