1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Explorer problem/printer problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bunbarian, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bunbarian

bunbarian Thread Starter

When I open Internet Explorer it opens on the page I set for it but will not proceed to some other pages. The new page opens but remains blank and it appears there is no activity as the circle icon in top left corner does not go around.

I have an HP Photosmart 2610 multifunction centre for my printer and it is connect to my HP Touchsmart 320 1010a PC (all in one). I cannot get info to print out from web pages including yahoo message page. However the printer works from Word.

Please help me before the PC and printer find themselves in the garbage tin.

Bunbarian

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Post a screenshot of Network and Sharing Center from the Control panel, like this. I don't think you are connected but a screenshot tells me exactly what is and is not working.

Attached Files:

3. bunbarian

bunbarian Thread Starter

Plodr

I'm sorry for being such a nerd but I do not know how to get a screen shot of it. It has two parallel grren lines between PC, Modem and network. Does that mean anything?

Bunbarian

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Yes, if there are no red X's over the lines, it means there is a connection between your computer and the modem/router and then a connection to the internet.

What page do you have it set for? Does this page load and look new or does it always appear the same?
    What do you do to get to another page? type an address, choose from your favorites list?

5. bunbarian

bunbarian Thread Starter

I have Explorer set for www.au.yahoo.com which is new when it comes up. To move from there I generally use the "mail " button to open my email and that is when the page goes blank. I have tried to go to other pages from the start up page via buttons on Yahoo7 home page.

I also run Google Chrome which has no problems going to other pages either from buttons or typed in web addresses.

Bunbarian

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Okay I can get to The Australian Yahoo page (as an aside, I traveled through Bunbury in 1972. I taught maths in two Sydney are high schools in 1971-1972 and went across the Nullabor over the school holiday in Dec./Jan. '71-'72).
    and when I click mail I get sent here https://au.mail.yahoo.com/
    which is not blank in Palemoon (similar but not the same as Firefox).

What version of IE are you running? I tested it in IE 11. The page is different than Palemoon shows but neither page is blank.

7. bunbarian

bunbarian Thread Starter

Hi Pldr

I use Explorer version 11.

Just tried to open mail from the start up page but same deal. Just a blank page greeted me.

bunbarian

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Do you have any addons in IE 11?

I don't know what else to suggest. Here's how the mail page looks on my IE 11 when I click on mail on the main page.

Attached Files:

9. bunbarian

bunbarian Thread Starter

With the printer. On a web page I press Control, shift, P to print which opens a review page of what I want to print. I then press P to print and a page opens that wants me to save the print job as a PDF document. I did this then tried to open the saved document and the PC wanted to search the web for a page to open it. Prior to the problem the PDF thing never ever came up after pressing P.

Hope this doesn't complicate it.

Bunbarian

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Aren't you given a choice to print out rather then save as a pdf?

Most computers in our house are set up with 1 or more real printers and a "ghost" printer. It is a program, I use doPDF, that will convert a print job into a pdf file.
    What program do you have on the computer to view pdf files? I suspect nothing because it keeps wanting to go on the internet to find something.

My all in one will offer a pdf option if I choose to scan a photo but not for printing. That is built into the printer.
    Maybe something is set up wrong on the Photosmart 2610.

11. bunbarian

bunbarian Thread Starter

Plodr

Thanks. Your suggestion has solved the print problem. I didn't realise that I could change the destination from save as a PDF file to send to printer.

Thanks again.

Bunbarian

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You're welcome. I'm glad you are able to print again.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice