1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Explorer Screen Displays on Start-up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by CarolinaBill, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill Thread Starter

I have started having a minor nuisance occur on start-up of a Win98SE computer in which an Explorer window displays for "C:\Program Files\Common". This started when I was unable to install the WinDVD 5.0 software that came with a new DVD player that I installed. This was apparently because the WinDVD 5.0 would not support Win98. As a work-around, I installed a trial version of WinDVD 4.0 which would indeed work on on my machine. However, I started getting this window on startup that displayed "C:\Program Files\Common\Bin". On opening this folder I found the files relating to WinDVD. I decided to uninstall the latter, and wound up with an empty \Bin folder, but the Explorer window still displayed on startup. I deleted the \Bin folder and still have the problem. I have tried searching the Registry for references to C:\Program Files\Common and have found none -- only references to ..\Common Files\. I checked with msconfig for start-up processes that might be causing them and also the Program\Startup folder and found nothing.

It is not an earth-shaking problem, but I would like to get rid of the nuisance of having to close this window every time I boot up.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Have you tried a scanreg/restore from a command prompt to a date prior to the problem?

If you do choose this route, you will probably have to reinstall the other copy of the DVD program.

3. CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill Thread Starter

I have deleted completely the folder that was being displayed since it did not seem to be used for any other purpose, then ran Registry Mechanic. Whatever was causing the problem is no longer in evidence so I have accomplished my purpose. Thanks for your comment.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice