Solved: Explorer tree display curiosity, AKA Odd Windows Explorer Bug

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Let's give this command a shot: Start > run:

regsvr32 browseui.dll

also:

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll

reboot afterwards.

I will try the command in the moment, but it seems like I am able to reproduce the bug intentionally.

First I renamed a folder on a Desktop. Lets say it was SEO and I made it seo.
Second double click on that folder.
Third I clicked on a file in the folder I renamed.
And the bug appears every time.

nope, that command did not work.

One more observation.
Sometimes I have to click on second file to reproduce the bug.
Although, sometimes it happens rigth away. Any file type will work, it seems.

Does it connected with the refresh?
Well, if I press F5 after changing the directory's name, nothing happens no matter how much I press F5. But clicking on a file does it.

If you open Folder Options > file types and find the entry for "Folder", select Advanced -- is the default action "open" or "explore"?

explore
It used to be "open" and the bug was there already.
I changed it to "explore" to be able to see the tree when I click on My Cmputer.

Anyway, I changed it back to "open", and repeated the procedure. It is still there.
So, back to "explore"

May I ask you a question?

There's a bug which may occur if you have the desktop toolbar enabled on your taskbar. It can cause these multiple desktop icons to appear. Do you have the desktop toolbar on the taskbar?

Mosaic1 said:
May I ask you a question?

There's a bug which may occur if you have the desktop toolbar enabled on your taskbar. It can cause these multiple desktop icons to appear. Do you have the desktop toolbar on the taskbar?

WOW! That was it!!!!!!!!!!!

I disabled the Desktop toolbar, and IT IS GONE!

Thank You Mosaic. 100 times thank you!

Big thanks to Rollin'Rog and abjamison.

abjamison

Wow, I never would have believed that was the cause. It does happen that that is one of the first things I do to a system of my own.

Thank you all for your help, this saves me from having to reinstall yet again. :)

And a particular thanks to Rollin' for all the suggestions and digging.

I think there is a saying about sometimes we can be our own worst enemy and about self-inflicted wounds. We do things to ourselves and then wonder how the 'system' could do it to us.

Well, I'll put the "Solved" tag on this one and store in my bookmarks -- glad to see Mosaic1 is still looking over my shoulder on some of these :D

You're welcome. Glad it's sorted. As to why this happens, I am not sure there's a good answer for that. It may be one of those flaws which will be fixed in a later update of system files.

Rog, I only knew this one because I have seen it before. Otherwise, its too strange. Reading your posts teaches eveyone how it's done, including me.

Mo

A postscript to this post (since it is the only place on the net where I've seen this discussed):

You can get around this by making the toolbar point to the Desktop but using c:\Documents and Settings > (Profile name) > Desktop. You don't see the My Computer and IE icons in the list, but everything else shows up, and you won't have the multiple Desktops bug bothering you.

Cheers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online