1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Explorer won't start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by trigo, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trigo

trigo Thread Starter

System: Windows xp professional-hd 80gb-500 ram. I have to format the hd and reinstall the windows. Now, after logon, only the wall paper appears (no task bar and desktop icons). Task manager (ctr+alt+dell) shows explorer in the running processes. Incidentally i discover that stopping rundll function (some times twice) the explorer starts using almost the total cpu memory until stabilize. Please help me. Thanks.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why did you need to reinstall? The problem that caused that may still be present. Were there any errors during setup? How did you format?

Try ending explorer in Task Manager and restarting it.

3. trigo

trigo Thread Starter

Yes, instead of stopping rundll, stopping and re-starting explorer works, but in both cases, in a new boot the problem is there again. Reason I have to format HD was various: system very low, many unnecessary programs installed, even uninstalling big ones I had good HD capacity but low performance, internet (I have DSL 1 MB) very low, errors, and so on. I have tried first repair the installation unsuccesfull. I also have the Norton Internet Security 2007 updated. Thanks

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try this regedit fix to repair the shell and userinit problem. It is not specific to that problem, but may work.

Shell Specification

Does it boot OK in Safe Mode?

5. trigo

trigo Thread Starter

I'm back. Yes, if I boot system in safe mode task bar and desktop icons are shown. I downloaded the Shell Specification (Winlogon.zip) extracted it and applied to the registry. I don't know what happened, if some changes were made or not. After turn the computer off and turn on after some time the problem is still there. Thanks

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's not a good sign that this problem occurs right after an installation. Were there any error messages during installation? Are there any other problems that might indicate a problem with the drive or memory? Was this installation a repair, or to a blank drive?

Run chkdsk /r. Look for bad sector messages.

Make sure all your connections are good inside the machine. If being warm makes a difference, it could be something loose. Remove the memory sticks and replace them to insure good contact.

A memory test wouldn't hurt.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista and can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

-----------------

You could also check your system files. Start > Run: sfc /scannow (with the CD in the drive).

------------------------

Are there any problem devices in Device Manager? Have you installed the most recent graphics driver?

Take a look at your startups, too, to see if there is anything there that shouldn't be:

Startup Control Panel

7. trigo

trigo Thread Starter

Elvandil, thanks for your support. I will make further tests (memory and disc) and as soon as possible will be back. The reinstallation was to a blank drive, with updating (my Windows XP Pro CD is from 2001). I have to reinstall DirectX and image board driver. The installation was clean, no errors reported, I have it Validated and Registered. I installed MSOffice and acessories( FPage,PPoint, Outlook, Exel), NISecurity 2007, Corel Draw 9, Google Earth and everything is working well and quickly.The only problem that is boring me is to have to use the task manager to open the desktop every time I reboot the PC.
    Thanks again. Trigo

8. trigo

trigo Thread Starter

I've run sfc /scannow, chkdsk /r, MSF Windows Memory Test and the results are: no errors found, the disk is clean, the four memory sticks of 128MB each are all ok. I also take a look at startup programas and seams to be normal: Norton Anti Virus, Office, Adobe, Graphics Driver, Rundll. Problem is still there, even in the first boot of the day, doesn't seams to be a heating problem.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is the rundll error?

Has anything at all been installed, or have you been on the internet? In other words, is there any way that something could be on the machine that shouldn't be?

It may be best at this point to repartition the drive, format it, and try a fresh installation before you get too far into customizing it and installing programs.

When installing Windows, you might want to reboot at least twice before starting to make any changes to the installation. Often setup finalizes some settings after the final boot and the OS is not quite ready for primetime when it boots the final time for setup.

10. trigo

trigo Thread Starter

I refer to Rundll not as an error but as the application of Windows (Windows\System32\Rundll32.exe). It appears on running processes at Task Manager and as I said before If I close it the Explorer starts. Rundll is restored but than Explorer is working.

I will not install anything more till I decide what to do. I am acessing Internet normally. Of course is there something inside the computer that shouldn't be there. It may be a Virus, but I have the NIS 2007 updated and have alread made several scans also by the Symantec Security Check (4 to 6 hours scanning at Internet); it may be some corrupted file but after run chkdsk, sfc/scannow, memory diagnostic no problems were found; it may be some configuration error that I made. The problem is that I don't know what is and were it is.

Any way we have tried. Thanks a lot for your suggestions helping me. Be free to close the task considering the best solution for this case as Reinstall the Operating System.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

What rundll is doing is also mysterious. There are very few reasons that it should be running at all on boot.

Look through all your startups with Autoruns. Use Search. If rundll32.exe or rundll.exe is executing another dll, which one is it? Autoruns will also allow you to uncheck the entry (if you find it) and disable it to see what results that has. You can simply re-enable it later if you wish.

12. trigo

trigo Thread Starter

Problem has gone!!! After I have installed some Microsoft Updates , the toolbar and icons appear normally, no needing intervention. Unfortunatelly I was not able to identify what kind of change the update has made, but any way the problem is solved, I hope.

Further thanks to your assistence and lets close the task.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good news.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice