1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Export/Import Contacts: Microsoft Office to Windows Mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mariawiggins, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mariawiggins

mariawiggins Thread Starter

Am trying to export contacts from laptop (Windows XP) using Microsoft Office to laptop (Windows Vista) using Windows Mail. Actually, I would like to just copy the contacts so they'd be on both computers. Need step by step easy :confused: directions to do this -- and thanks.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi mariawiggins

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

What version of Outlook are you using?

3. mariawiggins

The computer I want to get my contacts from uses Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 2 using Microsoft Office for the email -- it also has OE but the majority of my contacts are in Microsoft Office Email;
    The computer I want to load the contacts into is Windows Vista Home Premium, 2007, Service Pack 1 using Windows Mail

4. EAFiedler

I was hoping for the version of Microsoft Office: XP, 2003 or 2007? :)

Export the Contacts as a .csv file:
    File > Import and Export > Export to a file > Next > Next
    Select the Contacts folder
    Next >
    Browse to the location you are saving the file and name the file.
    Next > Finish

Locate the .csv file and copy it to the receiving computer.
    Verify the file is not Read-only.

Open Windows Mail and Import the .csv file.
    File > Import > Windows Contacts > CSV ( Comma Separated Values > Import
    Browse to the location of the .csv file and select it
    Next > Finish > Close

Let us know if that works for you or not.

5. mariawiggins

It is Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 that I want to extract contacts from. Okay, here's the problem. When I open Microsoft Office Outlook and go into File, the options are: New, Open, Close All Items, Folder, Data File Management, Archive, Page Setup, P rint Prev, Print, Woprk Offline, Exit ----- there is no option to Import/Export. I have 357 contacts. However, I can exit this and go into regular OE and there is the option to Export but my contacts are not there.

6. EAFiedler

That is strange, there should be an Import and Export... line under Data File Management.
    At least that is where it appears on my copy.

Do you have any other profiles setup in Outlook 2007?
    I would be interested to see if the Import and Export option is not available in a different profile.
    How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003
    You can cancel out of entering an e-mail account when setting up a new profile, place a check mark in the Manually configure server settings then click:
    Cancel, OK

Be sure to select the option: Prompt for a profile to be used
    Apply, OK to save and close.

Start Outlook 2007 and you should be prompted to choose which profile you want to start.
    Check the File menu to see if the Import and Export command is available in the new profile.
    To switch back over to your original profile close and restart Outlook 2007 and select the original profile.

Let us know what you find.

7. mariawiggins

Becoming frustrated! Had 2 account users on each computer, deleted one on each so there is only one account user per computer (just in case that was causing a problem). Went through the steps you mentioned above successfully and found there to only be 1 profile on the computer, added the new one and then checked to see if Import/Export was there and IT WAS NOT. Now I don't even see the standard OE, just Microsoft Office Outlook -- will never use Microsoft Office again.

8. EAFiedler

Try resetting the Toolbars:
    Tools > Customize > Toolbars tab > Reset button

If that should fail to bring the Import and Export command back to the menu, locate that command and place it on the menu.
    Tools > Customize > Commands tab

Highlight the File category, in the right pane scroll down and select Import and Export.
    Drag Import and Export to the File menu, wait for the File menu to appear and drop the command on the menu.
    Close the Customize window.

Try the Export now.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

9. mariawiggins

Yeah! It worked. Thank you so much!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/804034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice