1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: exporting messages/address book from Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by franco342, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. franco342

franco342 Thread Starter

I have new computer and want to xfer my Outlook Express info to new program ((Windows Live Mail) - I've clicked on the export tab but was unable to send them to a folder so I can make xfer - Has anyone been successful in doing this?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You don't have to export the messages or address book. You can just copy the files to the new computer and import them.

Your address book is located in the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\

And the email folder is: C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{RANDOM SID VALUE}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    - Make sure to copy the Outlook Express Folder and not just the files inside it.

By default these folders are hidden so you must go to Folder Options int he Control Panel and disable the option to Hide Hidden Files and Folders.

3. Hughv

Hughv

This should be very easy.
    What are the details of the problem?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

5. franco342

franco342 Thread Starter

thanks for the help ... triple6 and acacandy ... I was able to get the messages to live mail but not yet able to xfer address book from outlook express - the only thing that it will import are messages - i have the address folder as extracted per triple6 on my desktop but do not know where to go from there - thanks

6. ~Candy~

I would just run the export from OE then put them on your desktop and do import CVS. Try to save only the columns you actually use, i.e. name, email address, phone numbers if you use those, etc. If you don't use addresses, don't export that.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There should be a separate import to bring over the address book once you have the file copied over.

8. franco342

franco342 Thread Starter

thanks ... got it done ... I even figured out how to export/import my favorites from my old computer - taking what I learned --

good job!

9. ~Candy~

Perfecto! Thanks for marking the thread solved (y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!