1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Extend DSL Internet Network 100M

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dannybz, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dannybz

dannybz Thread Starter

Why I would like to extend is because I do not want to contract another service. I have two house, (A) one with the DSL wireless modem and the other one (B) with no network set up as yet. The houses are about 100 or less meters apart with several trees in between. The house where the modem is the primary location, I have a computer there and my family uses the wireless network from the modem to connect to the internet with their mobiles. In the other house, I have a desktop computer and a smart TV which I want to use to connect to the internet, my intention is for video calling.

I've searched that if I opt for some type of wireless extender, the QUALITY of the network will be reduced by 50%, although the signal will be strong, when it is received by the devices at location (B) and thus my video calling would not work well.

I am not experienced on networking technologies, but am seeking expert advise on the best option and less expensive, I would not mind if I had to dig up to cross over wires to the house (B).

In either case, whether wireless or wired, I am looking on the specific equipment, devices and configuration that would let me accomplish having internet on house (B) and some decent internet quality (I understand if I would not get the 100%), as a plus, it would be great if the internet on house (B) is wireless for small devices like 1 phone or 1 laptop.

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    802.11n would probably work at that distance, but only if you had clear line of sight. Equipment (antennas, etc.) also exists for outdoor use--install on rooftop--which would do the job.

For cabling between two buildings it's advisable to have a qualified electrician.

4. dannybz

dannybz Thread Starter

hey TerryNet,
    Can you maybe tell me what type of Antennas (or what of equipment would work outdoors) or where i can buy one, and the pros and cons?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I really can't advise any more than the above. Buffalo is one manufacturer with such equipment like this antenna.

6. dannybz

dannybz Thread Starter

Thanks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1104183