Solved: Extending Ethernet throughout the house

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DJ Big Jack

I have a Cisco Wireless/4 Ethernet port router in use presently. All but one of the Ethernet ports are being used by equipment connected in the two rooms near the router, plus I'm using wireless presently to get Internet access at the other end of the house.

Can I extend the unused Ethernet port with a Cat5 cable to the other end of the house and connect it to an Ethernet Hub in order to create multiple Ethernet outlets there? I assume that multiple devices on the Hub would slow things down a bit, but that's not a concern. I'm more interested in whether an Ethernet port from my router can be converted into 4 additional ports.

Triple6

Rob
This is the standard way of adding additional ports and how everyone from home owners to the largest corporations expand their networks, so yes it'll work fine.

Never heard of Monoprice so I can't comment on that exact switch but they all pretty much just work, more expensive brands may be faster or more reliable in the long term.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online