1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: external 2.5" hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 4ndr3wk, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4ndr3wk

4ndr3wk Thread Starter

hi,

recently my laptop decided to stop working:mad: :mad: , so i thought the first thing i need to do is get all of the data off the hard-drive. so i bought a external enclosure for it and installed it and everything.

plugged it into a windows XP system and it went through the whole plug n play thing and it started then.:D

now when i plug the drive in the action light comes on and totally crashes windows. eventually it sorts its self out and gives me the 3 partitions my notebook drive is in, i can access two of them but the problem is that all of the files i need are on the third unreachable partition! it totally freezes after right or left clicking on it or accessing and software to do with the hard drive.:mad:

i got a error recently saying L: drive needs formatting do you want to do it now, but i dont want to format it as i want the data from it!:(

any help would be much appreciated and if you are not fully sure what im on about i will try to explain better(y) (y) (y) (y)

regards

Andrew K
    4ndr3wk:cool:

2. norton850

norton850

What happened to your laptop? Maybe the drive was the problem?

3. 4ndr3wk

4ndr3wk Thread Starter

OK, what happened is that i was running my laptop on mains power at the time(dont know why lol) and i had a power outage, so i plugged my battery in and got a windows error about corrupt files and got very angry:mad: :mad: :mad:

then i had finally had enough after about 5 resets and hit the laptops keyboard and BLAM the screen started giving little white lines everywhere :eek: :eek: so i reset it and the screen hasnt been back on since:( . so i bought a external enclosure to get the data hoping it was just the odd windows file gone but obviously it sounds like the partition has corrupted:rolleyes:

hope this helps you and me. (y) (y)

thanks
    Andrew

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I can suggest anger management classes. ;)

I'd use a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter and install it in a desktop to attempt the data recovery. You'll have better luck that way rather than in a USB enclosure.

5. 4ndr3wk

4ndr3wk Thread Starter

lmao definitley, i will try and get my hands on a adapter and see what happens

thanks so far

6. 4ndr3wk

4ndr3wk Thread Starter

OK got the adapter, the laptop drive has booted fine as a slave and everything and the partition shows up, but whenever i click it whatever software i am accessing the drive from the comp freezes and eventually i get the program not responding.

i have gone into disk management and it shows the partition as healthy(active)

what is the next step to getting my data

cheers for you help(y) (y)

andrew

7. JohnWill

Sounds like while it's able to read the directory area, it's having trouble in the data area.

I'd use a disk diagnostic and do a surface scan of the drive.

8. 4ndr3wk

4ndr3wk Thread Starter

hi, did a full check using seagate disktools or something like that. it found a tonne of errors in one file and after it asked me if it wanted to replace all of the sectors with zeros or something. so i went ahead, the sector is still dodgy, i get the exact same when i try to access it.

I cant win!?!?

thanks for your help

4ndr3wk

9. JohnWill

Sorry it's not working out. Data recovery is somewhat spotty, sometimes it's successful, sometimes it's not.

10. 4ndr3wk

4ndr3wk Thread Starter

sounds like i am knackered! would it be worth sending to some data recovery experts?

such as: http://www.ontrack.co.uk

thanks!

11. JohnWill

That depends on what the data is worth. It will cost hundreds of dollars for even the simplest data recovery job...

12. bigbear

bigbear

Now I am no expert on this particular topic.
    I have read in other threads that a Linux based OS run from a live cd can access data from a hard drive when windows can not.( Knoppix)
    Never tried it myself ,maybe Johnwill or somebody could help with this theory

13. JohnWill

Many recovery applications will read some or even all the data from a drive when it's not recognized under Windows. I have not personally tried Knoppix for this task, but it's possible some of the disk utilities might be usable for the task.

14. happyrck

happyrck

I have used puppy linux and mounted windows drives and accessed data that way..puppy may work as it works in ram only and doesn't put anything on the hard drive...after booting you can remove the puppy CD and that frees up the burner to copy files to

http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1

15. 4ndr3wk

4ndr3wk Thread Starter

downloading puppy linux now on azereus. ill tell you how i get on!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/461448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice