1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External drive help...please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Benfica2, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Benfica2

Benfica2 Thread Starter

Hey guys

I bought a Toshiba external Multi drive to use in my laptop (since the original internal drive stopped working).

The Toshiba multi drive is plug and play, but when I connect it, the laptop doesn't recognize it!.

When I go to My Computer, the drive doesn't show up at all. But when I go to Device Manager, the drive appears, but with a yellow triangular sign, with an exclamation point in the middle (sorry, I don't know how to explain any better).

Please help... I have no ideas and I'm starting to freak out :(

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Go into Disk Management (right click on Computer icon or in start menu, choose Manage>>Storage>>Disk Management).
    What info or what does the graphical depiction of the disk look like there? Post a pic of the graphical representation if you can.

When you say if doesn't recognize it, does that mean no USB plugin sound either? Or just that it doesn't show in Computer?

3. Benfica2

Benfica2 Thread Starter

Hey fairnooks.

When I go to Disk Management, I can't see any dvd drives (it only shows the laptop's hdd's)

And when I mean it doesn't recognize it, I mean it doesn't show up in My Computer (it still does that USB plugin sound though)

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What happened to the internal one? Does that appear in Device Manager? (The same problem may be affecting both drives.)

What problem does Device Manager say the device has when you check its properties?

5. Benfica2

Benfica2 Thread Starter

Hey Elvandil.

When I go to Device manager, the triangular sign with the exclamation point appears in both the internal and external drive.

When I click Properties (in the external drive, at Device Manager) it says Windows can't load the driver for this hardware, and that it may be damaged or missing (it says "Code 39" also)

Another thing: I searched a bit around the Web and I found this: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/...toshiba-portable-supermulti.html#SeeTheAnswer

The problem is that the person who asked the question doesn't say how he fixed the problem...

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. This will fix both.

1. Click on "Start" button, the click on "Run".

2. Enter "regedit.exe" and press "Enter".

3. When regedit starts, open up the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/system/currentcontrolset/control/class/
    {4d36e965-e325 -11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}.

4. After clicking on {4d36e965-e325 -11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
    "upperfilters"
    "lowerfilters"
    Click on each of them, press "Delete" key and click "Yes".

Or you can download this reg file to do the same thing.

Use CDGone Variant if the other didn't work or you once had Roxio, but use the other one first.

7. Benfica2

Benfica2 Thread Starter

Hey Elvandil.

It worked! Now even the internal drive works. Thenks a lot for all the help!

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

No problem. You scared me by disappearing like that :D.

Didn't I say, "This will fix both."?

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

(Keep the new one. Those drives just don't last as long as they used to, so you may need it someday.)

9. Benfica2

Benfica2 Thread Starter

Will do.

It's a shame I had to spend money on a new drive...but hey, at least now everything is solved :D

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Never be sorry about having more hardware. It will almost certainly come in useful sometime. But next time, you know where to go, right?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice