1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External Drive Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rbltech, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbltech

rbltech Thread Starter

Not Sure if this is the right place for this but here goes, i'm trying to do something that might be impossible. a friend of mine had an old External Sony USB CD-RW,which he decided to change to an internal, when we did this he gave me the casing from the external, no comes my question. i am trying to use that casing for an external HDD. Windows Xp Sp1 finds it but when it installs it says the drive is unable to start. on a side not the external drive does have its on power. is there a way to make this work? or am i going to just have to buy an enclosure.

Thanks In Advance for any help,
    Robert.
    :)

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Is this drive connected by USB?

It will have to have external power, a USB port can only deliver 0.5 amps at 5 volts.
    That will not even power a laptop HDD (they need to piggy back across 2 USB ports) so a full sized HDD has no chance.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm having difficulty believing that a CD-RW driver was powered from a single USB connection, so there must be provisions for external power. I've used hard disks and CD/DVD drives in the same enclosure, they're pretty generic USB <> IDE interfaces.

4. rbltech

rbltech Thread Starter

it has a separate supply of power. the issue is it still will not start

5. JohnWill

If the drive works properly installed internally, and it's jumpered as a single master, I'd start suspecting the enclosure or the installation. Did you try the external drive on a different system to rule out some USB issues on that computer?

6. rbltech

rbltech Thread Starter

no but i have another device that uses the same cable. i even swapped cables and tried that. same thing, tried reinstalling drivers for the usb device, same thing. is there a driver for external drives from Western Digital?

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I tried using an old Iomega enclosure for a hard drive. Never could get it to work either :( Although, I will admit, I didn't waste too much time trying, but the basics would never work.

8. JohnWill

There are no drivers required for ME/2K/XP for USB attached storage. However, I've heard that Iomega is a non-standard interface and requires drivers, but I have no personal experience.

9. rbltech

rbltech Thread Starter

oh well i guess i take a mulligan on that idea.

10. ~Candy~

What's a mulligan? :confused:

Don't tell me that's another game console that I don't know about :p

11. norton850

norton850

This time we've moved into the golfing world! I think it's something like a
    "playover" if you don't like your shot. Let's stick with game consoles :D

12. rbltech

rbltech Thread Starter

some thing like that. i meant i'll just have to buy an enbclosure.

13. ~Candy~

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice