Solved: External drive not recognized by XP backup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jjiimm0322

After backing up on this drive for nine months (and with a reformating three months ago), now the backup will not recognize the E: drive. No error message is given.

MY Computer shows that it is now 3/4 full with plenty of space (46 gig) on the Acomodate 160 gig drive under NTSF format.

I am thinking of changing to a fire wire from the USB.

I have been doing a complete system backup and maybe I'll change to just backing up my documents after we get it working.

Thank you in advance.

Jim

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I can't imagine Firewire working better than USB here.

I'm confused, you can access the drive from My Computer, but you can't use it with your backup? What specific backup application do you use?

jjiimm0322

The Backup is the windows supplied utility.

Yes, I can see the E-drive with My Computer but it is ignored by the utility

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
I had a similar problem with Acronis "TrueImage." I have to 'open' the backup drive and then minimize it to keep it 'active.' Then it shows in the "to" menu as a backup choice.
{redoak}

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
How about some details about the system, make/model, what version/patch level of Windows, etc.

jjiimm0322

Home Windows & Service Pak 2 on a Gateway 2000 running MS Office 2003 with a lot of pictures of the grandkids.

Nothing too fancy

Jim

jjiimm0322

On Redoak's suggestion , I did try what was described, of "Opening" the drive with My Computer and minimizing it and then call the Windows Backup.

My results were; when I opened the drive with My Computer. Windows Backup was called by it and the same poor results were presented: A: drive only was allowed as a backup drive.

I'm thinking that reformating the drive might make it available to the Backup.

Jim

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you can see the drive in My Computer and it works normally, formatting it won't help this situation.

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
Jim: I just duplicated on my system with no problems what you want to do. I terminated the backup to my XHDD because it would run for some two hours. The partial file was installed on my XHDD, so, presumably, all would have run to a final conclusion. This isn't helping you, I know, but I was curious to see if I would enclounter your problem.

Using Acronis "TrueImage" earlier this morning, the backup of my entire HDD took only 18 minutes. In addition to the great saving in time, Acronis 'images' the HDD, which the Ws utility does not. Not everything is backed up!! I learned about this deficiency here at TSG.

I suggest that you seriously consider spending the $ for the Acronis program. Considering that amortizing the cost over 52 weeks a year for "x" years will bring the per backup cost down to pennies, it would be a good investment in my opinion. "TI" is regularly recommended here at TSG.

Respectfully, {redoak}

jjiimm0322

We got it to work.

With Google I learned that people were having some difficulty with the front USB ports vs/ the back. I was using the backones. So, I reseated the plug.

On running Windows Backup I still was presented with only A:\. Next to that was a Brouse button. That presented options including the E:\. which I took.

I backed up the My Documents and feel relieved.

Thanks.

Jim:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online