Solved: External drive permission problem: can't access

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cybernia_nyc

My laptop mobo fried and I took out the HD to retrieve the data. I hooked it up via usb to a desktop. I can access the drive but when I get to my user folder it won't allow me access saying I don't have permission to access it

How can I get access? It won't let me change the sharing option.

the OS on the drive is WIn7 Home Premium

Thanks

cybernia_nyc

Thanks for your response. As it turns out, I'm a dolt. I was using a friend's computer who had another friend of ours come in at some point and he changed my friend's status from administrator to "standard user." I didn't notice that at first. That's why I couldn't access it. And the admin pwd he left didn't work. So I had to go to another friend and now all is fine.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Bernie

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online