1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External drive permission problem: can't access

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cybernia_nyc, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cybernia_nyc

cybernia_nyc Thread Starter

My laptop mobo fried and I took out the HD to retrieve the data. I hooked it up via usb to a desktop. I can access the drive but when I get to my user folder it won't allow me access saying I don't have permission to access it

How can I get access? It won't let me change the sharing option.

the OS on the drive is WIn7 Home Premium

Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. cybernia_nyc

cybernia_nyc Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. As it turns out, I'm a dolt. I was using a friend's computer who had another friend of ours come in at some point and he changed my friend's status from administrator to "standard user." I didn't notice that at first. That's why I couldn't access it. And the admin pwd he left didn't work. So I had to go to another friend and now all is fine.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Bernie

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice