Solved: External drive still recognised but is it readable?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BamBoy

Hi guys, I have no choice but to get some help in this 1. A lot of stuff on this drive is backed up however there are still some important things on there that have yet to be baCked up. ( I know I should have backed up a backup of a backup thats kept in a vault, but I was caught short on this one. :confused: )

It's my 2tb samsung story external hard drive. It was dropped today by a colleague :(.
So after the drop it was working fine still, but after a couple of hours I came back to write some more data to it and it had crashed out.
In 'my computer' instead of saying the drives name and displaying its samsung icon it simply said local disk followed by available letter (G:).. Now I've tried plugging and unplugging the device in several computers at the office. Every single 1 makes the registering noise that windows makes when you plug in a USB. It even claims that the drivers are installed! However every time I click local disc (it should say samsung 2tb) I get nothing. Just crashes out and needs me to reboot explorer.exe.

So i get home and try the drive in my xp desktop. Nothing at first but I decide to leave it. I come back after about an hour and it's running the auto run.exe feat. But it's running through the files painfully slow. I leave that running to see itf it gets any where while I also try and access the files on the hard drive to start copying them over. After 5mins I was able to navigate to what I needed to backup. It's still several gigs of files. And copying across some jpegs took a good few minutes. The images were a smaller resolution and file size to what they used to be which is odd.

Anyway I did one folder of images and then soon after it disconected, making the windows noise but only to reconnect immediately after again making the newly plugged in device noise. It's just now it just says local disk:g. When I click it Xp tells me that the semaphore time-out period has expired.

I apollogise for any spelling and grammar errors. Im using someone's iPad to type this. Data recovery isn't an option as that costs too much. Also the drive does make a ticking noises, in a slighty fasted paced clock tick tock rhythm. The led still works so it can't be the power supply.

Any help or insight into what can be done would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks guys!

BamBoy

Problem fixed. After the drive was dropped it still worked. The issue unknown to me at the time was that the power cable came out. Thereby crashing the drive. I was setting out to fix this today after researching last night, but the drive now works on the computer it origionally crashed on. Everything is accessible, read And write speeds are back to normal. All I did was plug in as normal but this time the prayer was answered. An Error checking of the disc has come back with no faults. I Never received a reply for my query but thanks for taking the time to check out my problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts