1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External DVD drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adrianr2z, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adrianr2z

adrianr2z Thread Starter

Hello,

I pulled a perfectly working DVD drive from a broken laptop and I recently got a ultrabook without a dvd drive. I was wondering, is there a possible way to mod the old one in order to make it external so I can plug it in my ultrabook and use it as a normal DVD drive?

The dvd drive model is a Panasonic UJ-852

If possible, what do i need to do?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. adrianr2z

adrianr2z Thread Starter

The thing is though is the connection ide? Its a type of connection ive never seen. If its ide, why is it so different than desktop ide?

EDIT!:

Nevermind, figured it out :) Thanks.

One quick question, Would this ram work with Lenovo U310 ? Want to upgrade 4gb ram to 8gb.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233264

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. adrianr2z

adrianr2z Thread Starter

Yep exactly however I want to buy it all on one site which would be newegg rather than buying from different sites. I'm just looking to upgrade my Lenovo U310 to 8GB ram however I would like to ask if it's worth upgrading the Msata SSD from 32gb to 64gb. I'm thinking of doing that and installing the OS on the SSD to make it the fastest possible, but I'm not sure if it's worth doing all this cause I'm fine with the current set up. What would you say?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Probably not worth it, the caching works well and I'm not sure Lenovo supports using the SSD as anything other than for caching.

7. adrianr2z

adrianr2z Thread Starter

Ah ok. Any how, What about just upgrading the ram from 4gb to 8gb? Any huge difference or would you think 4gb is just fine? Also, final question, where would I find a good quality 1tb or 2tb external hard drive for a decent price?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are running a 64-bit O/S you would see some gains, it depends on what programs you use. Windows itself, basic office apps, and web browsing works pretty much the same if you have 4 or 8GB.

Try the big online retailers such as Newegg or TigerDirect and read the reviews for a few drives or see which drives are the highest rated,

9. adrianr2z

adrianr2z Thread Starter

Alright thanks :) I am running on 64 bit Win 8 so I might however I do basic stuff, no video/image editing and stuff. I am looking to game and I recently installed mw3 thinking it would run fine but it gives me slow FPS rates on multiplayer matches. Unsure what games I could play on my ultrabook :( .

10. Simba7

Simba7

That's a little overkill. Even a good Patriot, G.Skill, or Mushkin stick would work fine.

As for gaming, ultrabooks weren't exactly made for that. They were made for portability.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ultrabooks generally aren't meant for gaming and as such your model comes with integrate Intel graphics which are not very good for gaming, you can probably play the Sims and some older games but nothing as advanced for MW3.

12. adrianr2z

adrianr2z Thread Starter

Alright thanks so much for getting all my questions answered. Much appreciation :)

If you don't mind explaning this before i mark this as solved, how does creating an image of a hard drive work? My desktop is currently starting to run low on space and I'm planning on buying it another hard drive but I don't know how to add it to my setup and use it as a extra drive for extra things that will be downloded onto. Would I have to image the hard drive and reinstall on the new hard drive or is there a way to add a 2nd hard drive?

13. adrianr2z

adrianr2z Thread Starter

14. Simba7

Simba7

Either one would do.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    An image basically takes the contents of the hard drive and creates a single file it. You can put the image onto another drive, internal or external(best) and it can be restored to another drive from that image. There's plenty of imaging software both free and paid such as Macrium Reflect Free or Acronis TrueImage.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice