1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: external hard drive disconnected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by imawriter, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

I have an external hard drive that I use daily for backups. It has been disconnected for almost a week while a tech downloaded Windows 7 to my computer.

When it is connected again, will it catch up on the information that it missed or just start from the day it was reconnected?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Presuming that this
    means that you did NOT previously have Windows 7 then you are best to proceed by ensuring firstly that you have all you need and if any personal data is missing by way of docs, pictures, music etc restoring only those files from the backup - then you should delete all on the backup drive, by formatting it and start again with a fresh backup -

2. if you need further advice on what to use please just post and we will be pleased to help

3. The most important is a windows 7 image and repair disc.
    This may be made from the Control Panel.
    and the option is offered when you make your first backup
    The repair disc will allow you to boot the computer if you cannot load windows and restore from the image

4. If you have the windows 7 dvd that can be used to boot and achieve the same as the repair disc

5. As to backup of your personal data, this can be done by either simple backup as and when you wish
    you may wish to use a simple copy and paste or drag and drop to a folder on the external drive

6. OR you can use some 3rd party program to create incremental or differential backups
    Some free 3rd party programs will make one but not the other

7. Incremental or Differential

It is all explained here
    http://ask-leo.com/whats_an_incremental_backup.html

However in simple terms an incremental backup starts with a full backup and then each time the incremental is run, a separate file is created for backup of only what has changed EACH DAY - so to restore to any given point you require to restore the FIRST incremental and each subsequent incremental

LETS say that on day FIVE you wish to restore
    YOU restore from the first made on day ONE
    and you then restore EACH of the incrementals made on
    DAY TWO
    THREE
    FOUR
    and FIVE

DIFFERENTIAL
    Starts again with a full backup but then each differential is all changes since DAY ONE
    Therefore to restore as above
    YOU restore the FIRST and then differential DAY 5

So as you will see you want Differential preferably if you are using a 3rd party backup

8. IF YOU USE Windows 7 backup it will create incrementals but when you commission the backup you decide how to set it up and Windows will then manage the space available and create a NEW backup when necessary

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-and-restore-frequently-asked-questions

9. It is difficult to explain it all to you in this post but when you commence the procedure most of it is self explanatory through the guided help on the backup and restore in Control Panel.

MY SCREENSHOT MAY ASSIST you to see what I man about the backup with the system image

I cannot give you a definite answer
    The likely answer is NO and especially if it was not windows 7 before
    It also depends very much on what you used for the backups

Attached Files:

3. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

First, thank you for all the time you took to respond to my query about Windows 7 and my external backup hard drive. It will take me some time to try to digest it . I am not a "techie" so this can seem like a foreign language. But you have made it simpler than a textbook.

I don't have the Windows 7 image and repair disc, the Windows 7 dvd ,or any Windows 7 disc but will contact the tech who did the download and ask him if he has them and...then get them. I don't plan on using him again.

Doesn't the ext. hard drive automatically copy everything I've done each day by itself?

I will also be sure to copy my personal, important files and folders to the ext. hard drive as well as continuing to copy them to a flash. And I will read carefully your information about backup and restore on the Control Panel.

This is going to take SOME time but thank you for getting me started.

4. Macboatmaster

1. You are welcome

2. It is hard to make it simple as backup and restore issues are not that easy to explain in words

ONLY if it is an external drive with backup set in it by the manufacturer and generally speaking those are less satisfactory than commissioning your own backup
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=640

4. Have a look when you get chance, you can always delete it and start again if you find it is too confusing or not what you want.
    YOU can examine the backups made in windows 7 to see what it is that has been backed up

5. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

Thank you again for taking the time to try to help this non-techie address this issue. Finally, I just gave up and hired a tech.
    At least it's over and I can learn the variety of new things I can do with Windows 7.

6. Macboatmaster

Pleased it is sorted sorry you felt unable to follow the procedure and therefore had to spend - to get the job done.
    Please mark the topic solved by clicking the mark solved button on one of your posts

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1113176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice