1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External HArd Drive Help needed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bloody618, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bloody618

Bloody618 Thread Starter

Im Having what seems like an interesting problem. My laptop (with windows 7) recognizes that my external hard drive is plugged in but I cant access it. (Hopefully this is the right forum for this)

I plug it in, the computer recognizes that its plugged in.
    I open Device and Printers menu and it shows that it sees the External Hard Drive.
    I open My Computer, the external is not there.
    I go to Disk Management, and it is found but when I tried to assign a letter it gave an error.

When I plug in Thumb Drives though, I have full use of it. Moving files on and off it, open files on them, etc.

All the Thumb Drives I try work properly.
    All External Hard Drives (i have 5) are recognized but not accessable.
    All External Hard Drives and thumb drives work on other computers just fine.

My question is, how do I go about getting use of my external hard drives using this computer?

Any Help would be great.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I would try deleting (uninstall) all the items under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in the Device Manager.
    Unplug all USB devices before you do this and when you've gotten rid of every hub and mass storage device you can, reboot the system and let them rebuild. If you had any USB3 drivers installed you'll have to reinstall them manually most likely.

Then go back to Device Manager and see if there are any hidden devices under disk drives and get rid of them if there are.

Then try plugging in an external drive and see if its recognized and assigned a drive letter.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you used any registry tools or performance-enhancing tools that may have damaged the machine? Any "cleaners" to get rid of so-called "unneeded" files?

Have you tried System Restore to a point before the problem?

4. Bloody618

Bloody618 Thread Starter

Sadly I dont have a saved copy before the problem started. And no, I havent used any cleaners that didnt come installed on this computer.

I've only had laptop for about 3 months. Baught it brand new.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

What cleaners were installed on the computer? Companies pay to have their programs added to the desktop, so they are not all good nor trustworthy.

6. Bloody618

Bloody618 Thread Starter

Disk Defragment and some of the scan inside control panel. I rarely use programs I dont know.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

How are those drives formatted?

8. Bloody618

Bloody618 Thread Starter

I dont know. They came formated already. And I dont recall how i can check.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you plug one into a machine that works with them, then right-click the drive in Computer, its Properties will say "File System:" and tell you what was used.

Check the USB sticks, too. Maybe it is only one file system you are having trouble with.

Did you try System Restore?

10. Bloody618

Bloody618 Thread Starter

If it helps, I keep getting the following message in Disk Management when I try to assign a letter, view properties, etc.

"The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management Console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer."

I have tryed doing refresh, I restarted program, and I have restarted computer numerous times.

11. Bloody618

Bloody618 Thread Starter

The file system comes up NTFS for the External. And the Thumb Drives are FAT

12. Bloody618

Bloody618 Thread Starter

just did system restore but didnt solve the problem. But it only restored it from what it was like about 3 hours ago

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

No restore points from earlier than that, like a few days ago or before the problem? There should be a few to choose from.

What exactly does Disk Management say about the drives when they are plugged in?

How do they get their power? If they are powered by USB, try unplugging all other USB devices so they get more power.

14. Bloody618

Bloody618 Thread Starter

Restored it to about 4 days ago but still didnt fix it. Any other ideas?

btw, thanks for helping so far.

15. Bloody618

Bloody618 Thread Starter

The Externals are all powered by a power cord. unplugging usb mouse didnt fix it either.

Disk management shows "Disk 1", Basic, 931.48 GB, and online (in the first box). In the box next to it where the partitions would be if it had them it just shows the 931.48 GB

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1052978

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice