1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External Hard Drive Letter Has Changed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Godmyeyesarebad!, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Godmyeyesarebad!

Godmyeyesarebad! Thread Starter

First Name:
    Stuart
    I turned the computer on today and one of the external hard drives has changed from 'K' to 'L'. Two other external hard drives have not been affected. For some reason the 'K' drive has been allocated to the CD Drive (which was previously 'F').

So how can I get 'K' back to the external hard drive using the same path as before. It doesn't matter what the CD drive is called but getting it back to 'F' would be nice.

Thank you.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name:
    Stuart
    Thank you very much for your quick reply - it's now sorted and my 'K' drive is as it should be, so thanks for your help.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You must remember that drive letters are NOT fixed. They are allocated on each boot. So if you used another external device as well IT could grab that letter and your original one could be moved.

5. Godmyeyesarebad!

First Name:
    Stuart
    Thanks for your comment Dave. I understand what you're saying but is there any way to adjust the computer so that the letters ARE fixed and remain the same on each reboot.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

In Windows 7 you can fiddle with them in Disk Management, but I think they only stick whilst the drive is present.

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

You can assign labels to the drives if you like, but why do you need drive letters permanently assigned?

(This is a feature/limitation of Windows, btw)

8. Netghost56

Netghost56

Might be a shot in the dark, but have you kept up with your antivirus/malware scans??

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Backups are common reason why drive letters should stay the same.

Generally if you assign a drive letter to a device using Disk Management it will stay with that drive letter as long as nothing forces it to change, it's kind of semi-permanent. Change it to something high up like Z and hopefully nothing will steal it away.

There's no reason to suspect a virus with a drive letter change.

10. Netghost56

Netghost56

Not really, unless a new partition has appeared....like I said, a shot in the dark. Personally I've never seen a drive letter spontaneously change without some type of manipulation, either from a new device (or old device failing) or a software issue.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1109472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice