1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External hard drive not assigned a drive letter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cosmic, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cosmic

Cosmic Thread Starter

I have an old BYTECC hard drive enclosure. Trying to use it on an older XP system for back up. Got a bunch of 40G hard drives I can use.

The OS will detect the external drive is connected and powered up, arrow shows in the tray for a USB drive, checked the device manager and it sezs the drive is there and operating properly, recognizes it, but does not assign a drive letter.

AIDA32 sezs it is there but same deal shows no drive letter.

I've tried four different hard drives with the same results. I know the hardware works on other computers, this particular computer USB works with other canned external drives, it reads a flash memory stick as a drive no problem. I know the BYTECC is set up properly, should be the same as with other computers. Works ok on a Win2000 system.

What could be the problem? Is there something to tweak?

I do know this XP system would not read hard drives that had been formatted on non-XP computers before. Don't exactly know what systems all these drives were formatted on. Isn't making any sense to me at the moment. Doing it just like I did on the Win2000 system with other drives, everything worked as it should.

Thinking I could try to slap one of the drives in as a slave and try to format it that way, hopefully can get it to be read as a USB drive instead.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. raybro

raybro

If the drive shows up in Disk Management (Start/Run/diskmgmt.msc/OK), right-click the drive icon or the area showing the drive below, select "Change drive letter and paths". In the next window click "Add". Next window click the radio button for "Assign the following drive letter". Select a drive letter. Click OK.

Raybro

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Thread Starter

Ok, didn't work exactly like you said but apparently it didn't like something about the primary partition, let me reformat the drive and got a drive letter that way via some Wizard.

Still don't understand it but it works super, drive is on line.

See if I can muddle thru the rest of the drives the same way.

You are wonderful, totally made my night.

Thank you so very, very much, I am in delight. Problem solved.

4. raybro

raybro

You really are Cosmic :D :D Never had such profuse appreciation. Glad I could help.

If you think you are finished, please click the "Solved" button at the top-left side of your first post.

My bad... Didn't notice you already did that.

Raybro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/856433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice