1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External hard drive not initialized?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by php111, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. php111

php111 Thread Starter

I have a external hard drive that's not initialized, but it recognizes with a messages pops up saying my drive is ready for use, but it doesn't show up under My Computer. I have a Windows 7 desktop PC that is a Home Premium 32-bit Anytime Upgrade. I'm thinking it's not fried, and I'm thinking that way because I received the message it found new hardware and ready to use? Or is it dead?

Also, I don't have a spare enclosure, and tools to open it up, so taking it out of the enclosure would be out of the question.

Thank you for any help!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. php111

php111 Thread Starter

There is no data I want to retrieve. It's a hard drive for storage, nothing important. I'm not fully understanding what I should do to fix this? I did went into Disk Management earlier, and I only saw my C, and D drives.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So it's not showing up in Disk Management? Then where did it say the drive needed to be Initialized?

5. php111

php111 Thread Starter

I'm not in front of my PC right now.

I'll look to see if I could find it again. It was under Computer, and then I clicked on one of those tabs, and I pressed properties of the drive. I'll look when I get to my PC.

6. php111

php111 Thread Starter

I found it in Disk Management. I didn't see it earlier because I was looking at the top portion of the screen only when it wasn't there. It was on the bottom portion which I should of looked there, but I was in a hurry to fix this. It was my fault for not taking a closer look. It was labeled as Disk 3. So, this is what I'm trying to do now. I'm not sure if it's going to work because the process isn't finished yet. I right clicked on Disk 3, and I think it's called "Simple Volume", or something like that? Anyway, a dialog box comes up to press next, so I left mostly everything at default. I assigned the drive to I:, and unchecked Quick Format so I could do a Full Format. It's formatting as NTFS. I am now waiting for it to complete. I'm not sure if it's going to work, and I'm not sure if it will recognize under My Computer. I'll post back with more updates.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, that should work but a quick format would have worked too and have been done is seconds.

8. php111

php111 Thread Starter

Thank you very much! It worked. I'm also going to mark this as solved.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad to hear (y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice