1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: External Hard drive not recognised by computer!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamesdsk, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamesdsk

jamesdsk Thread Starter

I have bought a brand new 500gb Seagate Barracuda Hard drive and a New Icy box enclosure for it. After putting it together and plugging it in to the computer, It displays a message saying device not recognised by the computer and that it may have malfunctioned (but it is new). I guessed i would need to partition and format it so i went to disk management but it is not listed!??? It is also not in my computer however it is in device management but has a yellow explanation mark. which reads (unknown device) and the description reads Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43). Please help!!!

2. dai

dai

Code 43= one of the drivers has failed

in the device manager click on view at the top and in the dropdown
    show hidden devices
    then uninstall all listed usb items
    turn the computer off
    unplug usb plugs
    reboot twice
    replug in the usb plugs

3. jamesdsk

jamesdsk Thread Starter

The device still comes up with code 43

4. dai

dai

can you try it connected to another computer

5. jamesdsk

jamesdsk Thread Starter

It is the exact same when I plug it into my laptop

6. dai

dai

try taking out of the case and connecting internally and see if you get the error message

7. jamesdsk

jamesdsk Thread Starter

Hold on... I have now got a seperate issue where after I connected the hard drive internally and plugged the cables back in, I am now not getting signal on monitor from computer. Vga cable is in. Its not my day today! Thanks I will come back to this thread once it is working unless you have a solution for this.

8. dai

dai

it could be caused by the drive if it is faulty

what are you running
    video card brand and model
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them

9. jamesdsk

jamesdsk Thread Starter

I had just opened the drive out of the packet. I cant access these info at the moment as I am having a pronlem with monitor signal. When I solve this problem I will post the details

10. weddy69

weddy69 Banned

Have you tried to label your drive yet for the computer. It does not recognize a disk if its not labled... IE partitions, etc should be when bios start up or used a current drive, then copy the information from the existing drive to your secondary if you want a back up drive (cloned). Your going to have to look it up on what OP your using for the command. I just installed a HD on a Irix server first thing on the list is labeling the drive, then cloned it.

Other ways to label the drive is use a recovery disk or OP disk.

Edited:
    Ok, so I thought you bought a fixed external hard drive after I looked up the error code (code 43) which is a power issue usually. I hope your not just using a single USB connection. If you are you may need a secondary power supply to add extra power for a hard drive.

Possible Fixes:
    1) find your error code under google.com (confirm it)
    2) add power
    3) label your drive since your building it.

hope this was helpful.

11. jamesdsk

jamesdsk Thread Starter

No im using the charger that came with the enclosue. I have tried different plug sockets. I have googled the problem but can not find a solution that matches. The thing is the hard drive does not appear in disk management for me to partion it. Otherwise I would have done that.

12. weddy69

weddy69 Banned

What OS are you running. Can you put up your system stats? it will be helpful. I dont recall if the system could see the drive i replaced last week with a new one. IE on a server though.

13. dai

dai

if the screen has not come back after removing the drive form the computer ,try a cmos reset

check you did not dislodge something when fitting the drive

post your specs as requested in post 8

14. jamesdsk

jamesdsk Thread Starter

Hi. I dont remember all the specs off the top of my head. Os is winfows 7. I am tryinh to fit a seagate barracudab500gb 7200

15. dai

dai

is it a brand name computer

have you got a screen back after unplugging the drive

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice