1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: external hard drive not showing up

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Shorte85, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shorte85

Shorte85 Thread Starter

May be posting in wrong part of the forum, forgive me if I am.

Unfortunately, I have another issue. I just hooked up my external hard drive, which has some of my backed up information on it before I went and reformatted my computer.

However, even though it says that the hard drive is hooked up to the computer, I am unable to actually find it under my computer.

I stopped messing with it due to the fact that I have pictures on this hard drive and much more. I do not want to lose them. I need to take some time out of my day and actually burn these images onto discs so that way I don't lose them completely.

Any suggestions as to why the external hard drive is not showing up under my computer?

2. bp936

bp936

What Operating system did you install?
    Maybe Windows has to recognize the drive anew, did you unplug and then plug in the external drive again? Did Windows show that it found new hardware? After the new formatting, Windows must have lost the needed information.
    Or did a CD come with the external drive? If you give more information, someone might have the same items and can help you better.

3. Shorte85

Shorte85 Thread Starter

This is my computer information:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 8450 Triple-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 3
    RAM: 4093 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9300GE , 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 293405 MB, Free - 264934 MB; D: Total - 11836 MB, Free - 1580 MB;
    Motherboard: OEM_MB, NARRA3, 3.02, MS1C85R42204649
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

After I went through the reformatting of the computer I went ahead and plugged in the external hard drive and a dialog did pop up saying that the windows found new hardware and continued to install or do whatever it did. Once that was finished, it showed an icon in the right lower hand corner giving me the option to safely remove the hardware etc.

Now previously before reformatting my computer, I had no issues with the external hard drive being seen on the computer. This is the first that I'm having issues with getting to the contents on the hard drive.

The external hard drive did not come with a CD, and it's a Maxtor hard drive.

Any suggestions on what I should do to get it showing up without losing the data on the hard drive would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

4. vicks

vicks

Does this attach via USB? If so you might click on Computer, and see if it shows there as a removable drive..
    Vicks

5. Shorte85

Shorte85 Thread Starter

This is what I see. However, I did try your trick earlier today but no luck at all. I do hear it make noise as far as letting me know it was connected and disconnected from the computer if that makes sense?

[​IMG]

I wanted to also add that this is what I see when I take and reconnect the external hard drive. The red arrow is the icon that shows up, and the box behind it is what opens up when I click on it. Not sure if that is any help or not.

[​IMG]

6. vicks

vicks

How many removable storage USB devices are you trying to run at one time. I count 4. It could be that there just isn't enough power to run so many things at a time....I would remove some of them and see if that helps.
    Vicks

7. Shorte85

Shorte85 Thread Starter

I don't have that many removable USB devices. One is a printer, which didn't think that would be a problem leaving plugged in. The other that I can think of is the external hard drive.

Not sure of anything else.

8. bp936

bp936

I would right-click on all Removable drives in the above shown section and look for their properties. If one says, it cannot be found, delete it and next time you start Windows, it should only show the one you have connected.
    I have 2 Maxtors and never had a problem with them.
    But I did have problems with some of the USB ports until I bent the inside (i KNOW) of the little plug, a bit tighter as to the cord is not loose.

9. Shorte85

Shorte85 Thread Starter

Okay, I am doing as you asked and when I right clicked on Removable Disk (I:) and selected Properties, a window popped up for the system. Here's a screen shot:

[​IMG]

Removable disk (H:) did the same as above, went to the System as shown in the screen shot above.

Is that supposed to be happening?

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Does this machine have "Memory disk Reader" in it?
    If so that is what these different "Removables" are.
    Look real close at the front of the tower, and you may see a slot (or 4 of them in your case) where one can insert a memory disk.

Attached Files:

11. Shorte85

Shorte85 Thread Starter

Yeah, I have card readers at the top of the tower. Which is very helpful. lol

I had a bunch of updates going on today because of reformatting the PC, and went to restart the computer because they needed to update them or whatever. Well it had like 87 updates to do (holy crap I know ha)... However, came back a while later after taking a nap. The tower was off, and thought okay it did all the updates. Turned on the PC and it is says there was a system error. GRREAT... But I think I'm okay. It had to do a system restore, which isn't fun because now I'm assuming I have to redo the updates because a update thing came up. I'm afraid to do updates now. lol

12. bp936

bp936

I never had that, but I am using XP, maybe someone with Vista experience can shed some more light on this. Not all drives should jump to the same page.

13. Shorte85

Shorte85 Thread Starter

Yeah, I thought that was strange.

Anyone else want to shed some light on me! I would highly appreciate it!

EDIT: Also, a quick question. Say this harddrive was formatted for Vista or so I thought before having to reformat my computer itself. Would it mess up any information on the harddrive to connect it to a XP Windows or should I only try to connect the external drive to a Vista Windows computer? I hope what I'm asking makes sense.

14. Shorte85

Shorte85 Thread Starter

Update

I thought I would update everyone. I am still having issues. Although, I just noticed after doing some digging and what not. I looked in Device Manager and noticed the following:

[​IMG]

As you can see there is that scary ! triangle sign. Which I know is probably not good, but the funny thing is at times it's there and sometimes it's not. So I'm not sure what to think at this point. I just know that I absolutely do not want to lose the data on this harddrive. It has my wedding pictures, documents, and much more on this harddrive.

Here's a screen shot of the properties:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PLEASE HELP!

15. vicks

vicks

Right check on that icon with the yellow exclamation, select properties>remove. Reboot the computer and let Windows find it and reinstall it.
    Vicks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/952132

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice